OT-Rough Job... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:01 PM
utahjeepr

OT-Rough Job...

I was dispatched and reported in to a new job this morning. I basically showed up, was sent to take a drug test, and was sent home. Company policy is not to hire until after a clean drug screen, so I didn't even fill out paperwork. Here's the kicker though. Provided I test clean, which I will, I get 8 hours for today and 8 hours everyday until the results are in. When they get the results they will call me and tell me where to report the next day to actually start working. I'm all for drug testing, my business (excavation, trenching, etc) is dangerous enough. Usually a company will put you to work until the results come in and fire you if you fail, but this is the first time I've heard of a guy gettin' paid to sit at home and wait.

I am a "Sheetmetal Darwinist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT-Rough Job...

Drug testing is becoming the norm in all industry especially the ones that have some danger. Around here most of the oil field companies are finally testing, and they constantly have openings because of the huge meth problem we have. I deal with drug addicts on a daily basis, I'm on loan to the District Court from my department to run the Drug Court Program, so I see what drugs, especially meth, can do to people. Personally, I believe any company that DOESN'T test is not worth working for, you are taking your life or at least body parts in your hands working next to someone that is high. The huge number of older oil field workers around here with missing body parts is incredible, and a large number of those could have been avoided if drug testing were being done.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:18 PM
utahjeepr

I hear ya, especially about the meth. Before I left Utah I lost a few friends to that crap. They aren't dead (as far as I know), just LOST. That crap completely ruins otherwise perfectly good humans in nothin' flat. Back then Utah was said to be the meth capitol of the US, still is as far as I know. Go figure that one out. Until meth hit, we thought drugs were mostly a "big city" problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 10:12 PM
joeybcdt

I agree about the affects of drugs. But take a look from a diff perspective: What's this doing to the company's payroll? Is this a union thing? Who ends up paying for the "free" time?

The society we've built...law suits, government regs, abused workers' comp. We all pay. It's already tough enough to meet payroll, pay the government, stay within OSHA standards and still be able to offer a package that will attract talented people. As a nation comprised of over 60% small business, we're cutting our own throats.

Joey

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 10:35 PM
toyatic

I see the worst.. I work in a pawn shop, and it is horrible the things you see every day.. It really makes you feel grateful for the ones you love.. and it keeps you really clean and straight.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:13 AM
utahjeepr

Joey

I am union, but this is the companys policy. They are basically paying me not to take another job before they get the results. If it comes back dirty they don't have to pay, which is fine with the union. The union told me before hand that a clean drug test was required, therefore if I fail I "wasn't prepared" for the jobs requirements and can be fired. The union agreement is pretty fair to both sides on this one. They could have put me to work as a probationary employee pending the results, but choose to do it this way. If they weren't willing to pay me to sit, I'd be working somewhere else tommorrow. Nothing against them, but I gotta work, I ain't gonna wait around. Basically the company is willing to pay this price to ensure a drug free workplace, I imagine they get a break on the insurance and so forth.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:16 AM
utahjeepr

of course my BBS "ranking" would have to be addict wouldn't it

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 06:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] A few years back, a HUGE construction company with several locations here in CA decided to bring in undercover agents to infiltrate the company to root out what seemed to be an increasing drug problem. The investigation took about fifteen months and cost the company about a million and a half in costs for the private eye outfit. During the investigation they found that bottom dump drivers were speeding down the hiway with 80,000 pounds GWV completely stoned on drugs; they found people who had LARGE STORAGE BUILDINGS crammed with stolen company tools; they found workers who actually went somewhere else and did nothing instead of going to the jobsite; and much, much, more. Finally they called in the union guys, showed them the evidence, and then with the union present they called in 278 people and either had them arrested on the spot for criminal activity, or canned their asses.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:41 PM
Addict

I believe in drug testing: Every politician should be given a shot of sodium pentothal and asked, "What laws have you broken this week?"

-Dana

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 01:05 PM
joeybcdt

CJDave:

For some reason, people don't think it's really stealing when they steal from an employer. After all, "They can afford it. Right?"

Stealing consists not only of company property but also paid time and other resources as well. Remember, "An honest day's work for an honest day's pay"?

Very generally, here's what I see a lot of:
18 year old male applicant. No experience. Expects $12.00/hour.
18 year old female applicant. No experience. Expects less money. But only wants a job she can look pretty while doing.
Everyone wants to be paid for sitting around.

Man I sound like a sour old guy.

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode