Tire Carrier Specs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 08:41 PM
joeybcdt

Tire Carrier Specs

I should be starting on the tire carrier phase of my rear bumper tommorrow night. Anyone have any useful specs?

I'm thinking 2" X 2" X 3/16" square tubing. I checked out Manglers site. He's showing 42" on the horizontal swing total width (including spindle). How high should the vertical bar be? I'm gonna be running 33's.

Anyone use 2" recievers so that the vertical and offset can be adjustable? More rattles?

Looking for some inspiration guys.

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tire Carrier Specs

2x2 3/16 will work great. On the two I have made the swing out horizontal piece was a little longer 43" & 44". The vertical piece is 20" & 19". I didn't use 2" receivers but that would work great. The only thing about making it adjustable is I think that would be more stuff to rattle. I pretty much used Manglers site as a starting point.

K-16
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:34 AM
Can't Get Enough

The center of my tire is mounted 20+ inches above the top of the stock crossmember/rear bumper. This was done to make sure the tire did not compromise departure angle. Remember, the taller the tire, the wider the tire, and the farther away from the jeep you mount it, the higher it needs to be to prevent it from dragging when wheeling. Unless you have other means to mount the bumper, I think you need your bumper to be at least 43" wide, the rear crossmember bolt holes are 41" apart.

Good luck

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky & Snow(Skiing that is)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 12:14 PM
Old Hand

I used a 2" receiver for the tire carrier. I offset the mounting plate so I can rotate the tire 180 degrees to gain about 4-5 inches of clearance.

Rattling is easily solved by drilling and tapping a hole in the receiver stock and putting a bolt in to tighten against the 2" sqaure tubing used to hold the tire. I have attached a drawing to illustrate

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-378270-recieverrattlesolution.jpg (47.3 KB, 2 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My tire carrier uses a receiver mount for the tire. The outer piece is slotted on both sides and the inner one is drilled and tapped for a 1/2" bolt on both sides. This allows the inner piece to be moved in and out for varying wheel offsets and tire widths. I mount the tire on the inner piece, slide it in so that the tire is in contact with the upright and tighten both bolts. No rattles whatsoever and the upright does provide some fatigue support.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode