Crossover steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Crossover steering

I am thinking of sliding in a Dana 44 front axle from a Chevy fullsize underneath my jeep. The advantage that I see to this is that the passenger side spring perch is already there for SOA. The disadvantage is the front to back steering. I have heard that all Dana 44 knuckles will interchange, and the Dana 30 knuckles will fit dana 44 as well. If this is true, couldn't I use one of these knuckles to get the crossover steering? It seems like it would be easier that having the chevy knuckle machined. But I know that has to be a catch 22 somewhere. Anyone have any input? The axle will more than likely be cut down a little. I want something a little wider than a scout axle. Thanks for any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 04:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Crossover steering

well.. i was told.. and have read that most chevy d44's had the flat top knuckles on both sides.. but i have yet to see it.. i looked at about 10 of them.. and they only had the drivers side... they could have been 10 bolts.. i didnt look that close.. they were all chevy front ends tho..
anyways.. if you have both flat top knuckles.. i would stay with them.. the drivers side will already be set up.. and you just have to setup the passenger side.. get the brackets.. and you'll have the high steering setup.. when they machine the knuckle.. they are just basically shaving the top to smooth it.. then you will drill and tap it for 3 holes..
check this out..
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/steer/soasteering/

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 04:45 AM
cj7jeep

My d44 out of a 76 Blazer has flat top knuckles. I am going with cross over steering. Don't know of any good machine shops in town, so i am buying a drilled and taped knuckle and steering arm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 04:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Machining the chevy knuckles is an option, I know. But my question is, wouldn't it save time and money if I could just bolt on the Dana 30 or Wagoneer Dana 44 knuckles. They would already be set up for crossover steering, no unecessary machine work means more money for other things, I already have the original front axle from under my 78 Cj7, I also have a dana 44 front from a 76 Wagoneer. By using the Chevy dana 44, I could save myself from having to machine the passenger side spring perch.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 04:53 PM
cj7jeep

Rock take a look at this thread on the POR site.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/003017.html

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 05:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Cj7jeep. That clears some of the air. So if I understand right, I can use any of the knuckles, but the advantage of staying with the Chevy knuckles is that it is easier to setup up for hi steer crossover steering. Anyone know if I am on the right track yet. I would rather spend hours of labor and get a little more know how, it beats spending the cash on parts from aftermarket and making up for it with overtime at the job.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 05:45 PM
cj7jeep

Rock this is what i have been able to filter out of all the info. Certain year Chevy's like mine have flat top knuckles. The pass side is able to be drilled and tapped for a steering arm. People have done this themselves and saved money. I don't have the tools to do this, so i will probably purchase these. You can also get Waggy knuckles that already have the holes, but these are pricey. Parts Mike has pretty good prices on the parts, pass side knuckle drilled and tapped for steering arm, $125 to buy outright, steering arm $85.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 06:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks again Cj7jeep. You seem to have all the good links for jeeps. You have anymore?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 07:06 PM
cj7jeep

This site is the best. You already saw the pirate4x4.com site. Here are some i visit every couple of weeks.
www.rockcrawler.com
www.4x4now.com
www.4x44u.com
If you want i can send you a copy of my browser favorites. Just say the word.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode