MSD or Jacobs ign. upgrade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MSD or Jacobs ign. upgrade

O.K. I'm going to keep my '90 Wrangler, I'd like to upgrade the ignition. What is better the MSD6 or Jacobs.What have you guys found to be better?or are these really better?Do they really produce more power and economy?

Edder
90 Wrangler 4"lift,33x12.50 BFG M/T,next week will have 4.56 and lockrite

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 10:10 PM
Official Historian

Re: MSD or Jacobs ign. upgrade

Jacob's customer service sucks. Go with the MSD. Do a search on: "jacobs customer service" on this board.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 10:56 PM
Way Outta Control

Awh... heck... save all your money for something else... start out by doing the TR Ignition upgrade... best bang for the buck. Then if you want more... go for the MSD. Just because it's cheap doesn't mean it ain't good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 05:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with WILL & LEVE. MSD technical support has been great for me (I'm a pencil-pusher who likes to tinker. I've learned more from my mistakes than my accomplishments, but I'm a better man for it). Team Rush upgrade - my first major undertaking since the "Nutter Bypass" - has shown a tremendous improvement in fuel economy (from 13 mpg to 15 mpg), and performance. I'm certain the MSD will show an equal improvement. I'm still trying to determine the best way to install mine (via Distributor Harness, direct to Coil, keeping Duraspark hooked-up or disconnected, etc.)

BTW, do you still have the Carter BBD? Do a search on it, as well as the Motorcraft 2100 & Rochester carbs. I'm rebuilding the Carter next weekend (I'll give it one more chance, then I's switching to the Motorcraft).

88 YJ Sahara, 258, TR TFI, MSD 6A, nutter bypass
Farting is such sweet sorrow
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK, Leve and Sahara I tried to do a search on the TR ign. upgrade and the "nutter bypass" couldn't find them.Sorry for my ignorance,but can you explain,or send me in the right direction? I'm getting my SYE kit next week and 4.56 gears and a posi in back this weekend so I was hoping to get an ignition upgrade while I've got it tore down.I do have the BBD carb (2nd one)likes to die,spit and sputter on occasion,thats another upgrade on the wish list in the next couple weeks.Thanks for the input!!!!

Edder

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:05 AM
Way Outta Control

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:41 AM
sheesley

Jacobs got a good review, but I have gone through 3 coils during hardcore offroading. They replaced them for free, ut its still a hastle. Fort my .02 I would personally go with the HEI upgrade....~TIM~~

--->"Some people go through life thinking they hit a triple: But they were actually born on third base."

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 02:26 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] From our perspective, the TR/MSD upgrade seemed to be the best way to go.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We were all set to convert our 304 to GM HEI because we have had so many V8 GMs with that system, and as long as you have a SPARE ROTOR in the glove box, you can usually get home[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Once the TR upgrade was developed,[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] we began to think about going with that system, but the possibility of module failure was always in the back our our minds. We didn't want to have our CJ quit when the feds were after us for having the last private firearm in the US. (Now, remember, we did this when the Scumbag was in the oral office and it was a distinct possibility that Scumbag II would follow him and begin grabbing guns)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] WHAT WE DID WAS install a special distributor built by the technicians at the TeamRush Ignition Laboratories; a distributor which had TWO ignition triggers in it (like fire trucks, ambulances, and NASCAR racers use), one triggers a stock Jeep module and one fires an MSD 6A. We used two TFI coils and a tricky coil selector like the NASCAR guys use. A dashboard switch selects which system we use. What this setup gives us is the sustained, multiple, high-energy spark from the MSD, and a totally redundant, but STILL high energy spark system utilizing the Jeep module as a base.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] When it comes to sweeping out those dark corners of the combustion chamber, it's hard to beat the combination of sustained multiple spark from the MSD, coupled with the TFI-Ford TR conversion for high energy. Truly; as LEVE has told you; a good bang for the buck.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:52 PM

I would stay away from the Jacobs and go with the TR upgrade instead. I put a Jacobs kit on my CJ when I first got it and noticed a much smoother idle and slight increase in power. After about 2 years it took a dump on me. This is on a trail only Jeep that only sees about 500-750 miles a year! I then went with the TR upgrade and noticed an idle that was just as smooth and a bigger increase in power. And all this for a fraction of the cost of a Jacobs kit. TR also has much better online customer Service too!

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 01:19 PM
Pooh-Bah

I ended up using the Crane electronic ignition that uses an optical trigger (shutter) with the Crane coil. It was under 130.00 for both to my door. Biggest difference is smoother idle, quicker response, little more power.

pbm
74 cj5,304,t18,2.46 ts d20,30f,44r,soa,MORE buggy front,35's,Rci's,5pt,full cage,air,etc.
78 J10,360,727,d20,44f,44r,35's,4" lift,etc.
Support Search and Rescue.......Get Lost!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode