Tranny Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tranny Question

I'm sure some of you have heard of the T-19 transmission. It is hard to find any information on it. Where would one might find this tranny? And how is it like the T-18? Does it have the low range first gear? Are all the gears the same as the T-18? I do know that all the gears are synchronized.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tranny Question

The T-19 has a synchro 1st and first is only 5.11 as opposed to 6.32 for the T-18. Size of the trans is identical.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The T-19 is a really good tranny. They were used in ScoutII's and Ford trucks that I know of.
CJJeepercreeper is right about the ratio of the gears.
I don't think that jeep trucks ever had them but I may be wrong, I think they only had the T-18.
I would look for a ScoutII, International truck or Traveler, or a Ford truck for the tranny.

Peanut

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually it would be a really good trans in a vehicle that doesn't have real deep diff gears, say 3.31 or even 3.07. First would be usable on the street, you wouldn't have the problem of starting out in a granny gear or a too tall second and have to slip the clutch. Second in those two trannies is very close, 3.03 for the 19. 3.09 for the 18. Any way you look at it, 5.11 is a heck of a lot better than 4.03, which is 1st in a T4/5 and some others.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 11:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

T-19's came in Scouts & Ford Trucks. The case length is the same as the T-18, the main difference is the syncro first. There are 3 different versions, the most common Ford had the 5.11 first gear, and most of the Scouts came close ratio w/ 4.02. There was is also a wide ratio Scout T-19 that came w/ a 6.32 First, but is less common. I'm in the process of using a Scout close ratio T-19 mainshaft, a 2wd Scout wide ratio countershaft and gears, and a Ford input shaft and transmission case to go into my 78 CJ-5 w/ 258.
The Scout version should have the adapter plate to mate to a Dana 20. The only problem with it is that it doesn't have mounting holes for the mounting bushing like the original Jeep T-18 version has. You can purchase the adapter from Advance Adapters though. I'm still trying to figure if I can rig up some other way to mount it.

Some Ford F-250's had the T-19 in the early 80's. Scouts had them from '75-'80. They should have a casting number of 13-09 as opposed to the 13-01 of a T-18. Also, there are two PTO plates instead of the one on the T-18.

Hope this helps.

-Jay
Denver, CO
1978 CJ-5 258 Weber, 'glass body
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 08:43 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I looked into these for my older brother, and actually found one from a Ford, complete with hydraulic PTO setup for $750. In the Fords, they were used in the mid-80's behind the 460 and the diesel exclusively. This is info from my brother, but he's a guru at this stuff.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode