RV Camshft Selection - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

RV Camshft Selection

i need ideas to order a custom camshaft for a 1979 304 V8 rebuild. i would like a low torque RV cam that can be used daily, will perform off road, and not consume fuel ridiculously. i will be returning to a pretty much stock compression ratio of about 8.4:1. The rebuild kit is coming from Kanter.com, if anyone has any information please let me know. Any other rebuild kit sites for comparison would also be appreciated. Scott...

Scott Reuben
1979 CJ: 304 3spd, tires, rust, miles
1989 XJ: has seen every state except Hawaii

In search of lost paths and distant locations...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 05:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: RV Camshft Selection

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I have used the Melling RV formula as well as Crane. The Crane would be my choice. The fuel mileage will pop up just due to the cam not having the smog exhaust overlap.YUK! BARF! PUKE![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] so you will be pleased with that. We had a FS GM 3/4T 350V8 which got about 11 MPG NO MATTER WHAT WE DID. I pulled the engine down; put in a higher deck piston; installed a Crane RV cam; and the fuel mileage popped up to 15. And what a difference in POWER!!!!! Best 350 I ever sat behind......bar none.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:26 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Scott

I have pretty well beat this 304 Cam selection topic to death on my own the last couple months . We have the same motor and looks like we want the same end result . I talked to quite a few local AMC engine gurus and they all recommended the Comp Cams 260H grind and use the stock AMC lifters. I liked the Edelbrock grind but there was something about the timing of the valve opening that they mentioned that wasn`t optimum(or as good as the Comp ) ( as far as they were concerned) . These guys have been building and racing AMC`s since I was a kid and they know thier stuff . Hope this helps . Good luck !

Jeff

<font color=black>Summer is just around the corner [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Dave and Jeff,

What happens as i approach an advertised 270 cam or above? Do i need to worry about the other specs? What will the 260 sound like? i wouldn't mind a rough idle if i would gain hp, torgue, and/or economy. Thanks for the help as always. Scott...

Scott Reuben

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:21 PM

<font color=blue>Duration is the period of time measured in degrees of crank rotation, that the valve is open. Duration is the deciding factor to what the engine’s basic RPM range will be. Lower duration cams produce the power in the lower RPM range. Larger duration cams operate at higher RPM, but you will lose bottom end power to gain top end power as the duration is increased. (For each ten degree change in the duration at .050”, the power band moves up or down in RPM range by approximately 500 RPM’s.)</font color=blue>

It would have been cooler if I claimed that to be my own piece (hehe) but that is from a Cam mfger`s website and pretty much sums it up Scott. Low gears,4 barrel,more of a street orientated performance , then go with a 270 or 280 but a 304 , stick with the 260 . There is a company here in town that custom grinds cams and he said the BIGGEST mistake is people ordering to large of a cam for thier motor. You mention the idle ? Hey I used to have a COP 427 69 Chevelle and I want everything to idle like that thing did (hehe) but it aint going to happen my friend [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Jeff

<font color=black>Summer is just around the corner [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff,

i will let you know how it turns out.

Scott...

Scott Reuben

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jeff,

i will let you know how it turns out. What other specs do i need to give in order to have my custom cam ground? i'll check with the manufacturer/distributer, but let me know if you've already gone through it with yours.

Scott...

Scott...

Scott Reuben

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

i saw some of the old input concerning the Edelbrock RV grind, what in particular made you decide on the Comp Cam grind?

Scott Reuben

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 01:59 AM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Let me stir the pot a little. I put the Comp Cams 260 in my 401 way back when. I always regretted afterwards not going with the 255 instead. Had a mild lope and 9-10 mgp depending on winter or summer with a/c running. Of course it was a tank, (Wagoneer). But I'm sure it would have had better low-end, idle and mpg with the 255. Even better yet would have been a stock replacement cam. My two current Jeep's engines were built with RV cams. The V-6 had the Edelbrock Performer cam, (which is nothing more than a copy of the old TRW EP-2 cam). Both engines had the same slight lope to the idle and less than desireable low-end and mpg. I have since replaced both engine's cams with Sealed Power, (Federal Mogul), stock replacement cams and the difference is phenomenal. Silky-smooth idle, better mpg and gobs more low-end grunt. Like comparing a tired worn-out engine to a brand new one. Now I think the other cams will develope more HP, but at an rpm that most rarely use and at the sacrifice of power in the range we all use. I will never use anything but a Sealed Power stock replacement cam for any future rebuilds unless I decide to take up racing.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 10:14 AM

Hi Tim

Out of curiosity , what was the duration on the Sealed Power cam(s) ? I think it all gets back to what that custom cam grinder told me , don`t overcam .
Scott , DONT forget the Comp 252H grind either . It would also be very good for a stock 304 .

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode