OT -- Tractor Question (Ford or JD) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

OT -- Tractor Question (Ford or JD)

Looking into getting a compact 4WD tractor for putting around the house, bush hogging and landscaping mostly. I am currently looking at a 755 JD with the hyrdomatic tranny, but also see a few Ford 1700 in my price range that appear fairly solid, both are used. But I am going to check in with the dealers since they are advertising good prices and interest rates right now. Anybody have a tractor or know about them? both ford and jd seem to have a pretty good name in the market, right? anything to look out for?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 04:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT -- Tractor Question (Ford or JD)

What horsepower are these tractors? Most of the smaller diesel tractors usually have Japanese engines in them which are real workhorses. I have a 27 horse, 3-cyl Mitsubishi diesel in my small tractor and love it.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 04:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

John Deere will always have better resale value and John Deere stocks parts forever! I have a JD 420 Lawn tractor, 30 years old and can get any part for it. Ford is no longer owned by the Ford Corporation, instead owned by New Holland. Both tractors were built overseas, John Deere was built by the Yanmar Corp. of Japan, I not sure who builds Ford/New Hollands now, last I heard was they were built in Italy. As of a couple of years ago all tractors less that 100 horsepower were built overseas. John Deere is built overseas but now assembled in the USA.

A couple of years ago I looked at new compact utility tractors. The two leaders in the market were John Deere and Kubota. They are still the leaders with Ford/New Holland, Massey Ferguson, and others eating their dust. Yes, they are traditionally more expensive than the followers but you do get what you pay for. After receiving bids the Kubota came in at $2500.00 less than the comparable JD. I purchased the Kubota. Kubotas really hold their resale value, just try to find one. If you do you'll pay near new retail for it, if it was well maintained. JD is the same. The 755 is an excellent tractor, and I'd have one if it weren't for the difference in prices. Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 05:08 PM
Veteran

Wow - 4wd tractors are nice - but expensive. We have 7 acres here - I dont know what you have & it is basically a big field that needs brush hogged. But anyway, when we first moved in my husband got a old Ford 8N - it was good to him for several years & he had a 5' brush hog for it & an auger (which we dug 25 holes for our deck with) and a bucket etc. for it - however, 1 1/2 years ago he got an International 574 - its a diesel & has more HP than the Ford 8N - he kinda misses the 8N it was a classic (kinda like having an old flatfender versus having a CJ7) - anyway - the new one is diesel & he has a 7' brush hog for it & a bunch of other implements he slyly purchased. We got a low cost lawn tractor to mow the grass & have a cart for it - anyway, I guess my point is that going with a smaller new lawn tractor & a larger, but older used tractor for your heavier duty work was a good way to go for us -it saved us a lot of $$ & gave us more flexibility. There is a good tractor website www.ytmag.com
-Mel

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I too am in the market for a smaller 4x4 tractor, this website has some great tractor info:
http://jplan.com/tractor/home.sht (I hope I made the link clickable)

'85 CJ-7/360/727/D300 w/Currie Twin Stick and TeraLow 4-1 kit,Dana 44/30 w/4.56 and Detroits,SSR 35's,York AC onboard air and the TR ignition upgrade
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We just bought an '86 Ford 8600 tractor for farm work. This thing was mint. New tires, dual rear wheels, etc. Got it for $5600, stole it. Put on a new seat, did some painting, some minor motor work, etc. etc., and about $3k later we have a major workhorse of a tractor. Just let me caution you not to get a tractor too big for your needs. The implements will add up, and the bigger the implement the more money they will bring, used or not. A 6 yard pan is going to cost us dearly. Get what you need for the job, don't over do it.

We also have a Ford 2500 for the smaller stuff like bushhogging, digging holes, smoothing roads, etc. We needed a bigger tractor for other things: pond maintainence, construction, plowing, discing, etc.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=yellow>Barbie</font color=yellow> <font color=green>drives</font color=green> <font color=yellow>Wrangler</font color=yellow>, <font color=green>I got a YJ</font color=green>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

As was previously noted, both are good tractors...and the parts availability of the JD will be better than the Ford. I also agree with the advice on looking into a Kubota....they are very impressive little machines. That said, the only other comment I have would be to consider the 4wd part. I know it can be very useful, but it adds a lot of complexity and price. On a front end loader where you're putting all the load on the front axle, you want it to be as strong as possible...and the MFWD axles still aren't as strong as the 2wd axles. In addition, the MFWD isn't useful very often. Sure, when it's really muddy, it can be nice...and when you're carrying really heavy loads in the bucket it can be nice. But if it's muddy enough that a 2wd tractor loader can't get through it with 40" or taller tires on the rear, then you shouldn't be out there. And as for the load carrying, throwing some weight on the 3pt hitch solves that problem and makes the tractor much safer to drive as well. The 2wd's are simpler to maintain, cheaper to purchase, turn shorter, and are more durable. They weigh less, and can do 99.9% of everything that the 4wd can do. We've had 2wd loaders here on the farm for years, going back originally to an old H with a loader and trip bucket on it, then to an IH 574 with the straight 4 gas engine (great little tractor) and now to an IH 685 normally aspirated 4cyl diesel. All have been 2wd and all have worked great. With some weight on the back end (fluid in the tires and/or weights on the 3pt), and a set of chains on the drive tires, I have never found a task that was undoable with the 2wd that a 4wd would have done. Don't forget that nearly all of them have differential locks for the rear axle. Like I said...if you can't do it with 5' tall tires, chains, and weight on the rear end, you shouldn't be doing it. Those 2wd loaders will go places that would make even a jeep cringe. And if you do happen to get it stuck, you can always use the bucket to push yourself out.

After having both diesel and gas loaders, I would never go back to Gas...the diesel hums along happily all day long no matter what the task is, and runs much cooler. It also burns less fuel than the old gas engines did.

The only other comment I have is to get one with a good ROPS on it. Mowing sidehills, carrying heavy loads across uneven ground...you name it, you feel better with a big steel bar behind your head.

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a JD and a Ford 9n - The Deer is the better tractor- and newer - BUT - I sure get it done with the little ole Ford. Might not - no - is not as fast to do the work but a little tractor - but a 2wd tractor still will do amazing things.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

Excellent points, I never really considered a 2WD tractor. I figured it was like a jeep and that 4Wd is the only way to go. I only have 5 acres so it's nothing major. The 2WD tractors are way cheaper. The JD 755 has a 6' finish cut deck mower with it and low hours (400ish) but the guy is asking $15k!! The Ford 1700 has a back hoe on it and is $11k, 600hrs??, pretty good deal. There is a kubota dealer near by that I will be visiting with this weekend. Everyone keeps talking about them so I should check them out I guess. That hydomatic tranny in the 755 is the cat's meow from what I hear, seems to be a nice tractor for a rookie, no back hoe on it though.
All I will be using this thing for is moving/leveling dirt, removing tree stumps, digging holes for deck, bush hogging. Also for the occisional tug I need to get my YJ out when I burry it!

What are some good 2WD model tractors. I was even thinking of going down to the JD dealer to check out one of those 4200's or something.
thanks for all the input!!!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode