Distributor gears stripped TFI coils shorting. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 04:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Distributor gears stripped TFI coils shorting.

Iím an old timer here we did the TR Upgrade last spring. We re-curved the distributor with the new springs and installed the TFI coil mounted it in the same place that the old coil was mounted with a custom welded bracket. The CJ stayed the winter in the garage after our Daughter broke down in it in November we decided to take a look at it in the fall we went through alternator belts and the alternator. And when it broke down the belt was broken again. We put a new belt on and there was no spark. We took a look while turning over and there is a heck of a short across the new in AUG MSD TFI coil. While I was traveling around town looking for another coil my Husband took the distributor out to find that the gears were stripped. I have some starting problems every now and then but that could be the computer from the Howell EFI not being real compatible with the MSD ignition. The ignition is so great that I choose to live with the hard start problem. It has something to do with a TACH wire. Another problem is that some times when starting we get a grind that we thought was the starter and no turn over.

If you have any idea why the gears are trashed let me know and if you think that is why the coil is shorting or if I should call MSD about the coil.

1984 CJ7
Howell Fuel Injection
258I W/4.0 Head
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Distributor gears stripped TFI coils shorting.

Are you going to pull the timing chain cover and look at the cam gear? I would worry about all the metal from the dist. gear being in my engine. I don't know if a magnetic oil pan plug would help as a lot of gears are a bronze alloy?? The gurus will be on line later and I bet one of the experts will have some good input. Good Luck.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:52 PM
Can't Get Enough

Did you put a high volume oil pump in your 258? If the dist. turns free when out of the car, you may want to check the oil pump. I have seen oil pumps on 4.0l's become hard to turn, and strip out the dist. drive gear. I have also seen the dist. bushings go dry, and sieze up tight, which also stripped out the dist. drive gear. You may want to stick a long screwdriver down the dist. slot into the oil pump drive, and make sure that it turns free. Some high volume pumps will also put excessive strain on the drive assembly under higher r.p.m.'s.

As far as the alternator belts go, you may want to check the crankshaft end play. If it isn't set correctly, or worn excessive, it will throw drive belts. Worst case senerio that I can think of is the oil pump failing, and taking out the crank thrust bearing, thus throwing the alternator belt. Hope that isn't the case.

As far as the coil goes, it dosn't take a whole lot of water or salt to start the arcing process on a 60k volt system. Bakelite is a good insulator, but once it starts to burn, it becomes a conductor. Try replacing the coil again, and use a small amount of dielectric silicone around the boots and coil tower. This both seals out moisture and helps prevent arcing. This is the clear grease that comes with a good set of plug wires, it is also sold in small tubes from any parts store for a couple of bucks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:00 PM

Cindy
What was the cause of your daughters break down if you know ? and have you had it running since the break down ?
The reason I ask is because your oil pump is driven by your distributor
also the oil from overhead drains through a gallery along the hydrolic lifters to the cam bearings and timing chain and gears ,so you may want to take a real close look at it before running it,and figure out why the gear stripped.
The only things I can think of to strip the Dist. gear is if something in the head of it bound up or if your oil pump bound up ,It might be shorting across the coil cause that is the position it is stuck in with the gear stripped.

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode