OBA Unloader valve - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

OBA Unloader valve

I just purchased my pressure switch for my onboard air installation. It came with an "unloader" on it.

I really don't understand its function. I believe its purpose is to vent pressure from the switch back to the tank to somehow ease the starting of the compressor.

Do I need to hook this up?.

BigHG
84 CJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OBA Unloader valve

Yep, that's right...the unloader vents the pressure in the line between it and the compressor, so when the compressor re-starts, it is only pushing against atmospheric pressure in the line instead of pushing against 100psi. Do you need to hook it up? It isn't absolutely neccesary, but it would ease wear on the a/c clutch...your OBA system is powered by an engine driven compressor, right?

Moneyless, Will weld for jeep accessories.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Okaaaay, I get the concept but am not sure how to make it work.

The switch I have has 2 connections on it. One that looks like a diaphram that senses the pressure and then the unloader. This means I will need to put in a check valve between the two? With the unloader hooked to the compressor side of the check valve?

BigHG
84 CJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 04:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To make it work you'll need a check valve with an unloader port. Then just connect the unloader on the pressure switch to the check valve with a piece of copper tubing.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 04:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The unloader valve connects to any part of the line between the compressor and the check valve. The diaphram port of that switch connects to the tank side of the check valve. So the pressure switch diaphram is "feeling" the tank pressure, and the unloader valve opens on compressor shut down so the compressor has at least a little empty pipe to pump into when it restarts. On some compressor setups they even have a little chamber to make even more empty space so the compressor can start easier.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 05:32 PM
Can't Get Enough

NAPA has a combination check/unloader valve that sells for approx. $15.00. Ask for a combination valve. The valve with a 1/2" compression fitting and a 3/8 NPT fitting is part number 8212. They also had a regular check valve that was about the same price.

"Honestly, I didn't lift the Jeep.
I,um..ah..lowered the axles"
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Okay I fully understand it now. Thanks everyone!

Jeeperjohn got me to thinking a little bit more. I am building a manifold to make the installation look good. I was planning on using all 1/4" npt fittings as I have a tap that size. Do you think I will lose a lot of CFM by going with this size as opposed to 3/8". I am pretty sure most of my existing quick connects are all that size.

BigHG
84 CJ7
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 07:02 PM
Can't Get Enough

I'm not sure. It is a fact that a 3/8" hose will flow more than a 1/4", but the unknown is how many cfm is the compressor capable of putting out. I am using 3/8 on my OBA project, but I always over build.

"Honestly, I didn't lift the Jeep.
I,um..ah..lowered the axles"
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 10:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] And the survey says.................1/4" will do just fine.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm with Dave. The majority of air tools, inflaters, blow guns, etc. use a 1/4 NPT fitting on them.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode