Is there a specific way to weld spider gears? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 01:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is there a specific way to weld spider gears?

I want to have the spider gears welded on the front axle of my YJ. I have the rock lock so I can still disengage one side when in 4wd for better steering. But is there a certain way to weld up the spider gears?? I figure this would be cheaper than a lockright or ez locker. And I can't afford a detroit or arb.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 01:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Is there a specific way to weld spider gears?

Yes.....well, in my mind anyway.....and it's pretty cluttered in there so watch your step.

Around here it's called a Fozzy Locker. There are several ways to do a Lincoln Locker, but there are a lot of guys on the island running the Fozzy and I've yet to here about problems with it.

Obviously a proper locker would probably be better, but if your on a budget, this is the way to go. A Fozzy Locker is created by welding the spaces in between the side gears teeth, but leaving a few open on each side of each gear. This allows for a very small amount of movement. In my case the fellow who welded my gears left about an 1/8" of movement in the gears. This translates to a little over 3" of movement at the tire (30" real diameter tire).

I have a couple pictures of the gears after welding, but no scanner. Maybe I'll get a friend to scan them sometime next week. If you do it, make sure you've figured out how to do it right before pulling out the MIG!

This worked great in my Dana30 front on a '77 CJ5, and I'm thinking of doing the rear of my '87 Samurai now. I know several people who run these front and rear on daily driver hardcore rigs without problems.

Like I said, probably better off with a real locker, but I'm too cheap![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The alternatives are:
1) Weld the side gears to the spider gears (quazi mini-spool).
2) Weld the side gears to the spider gears, then to the carrier (quazi full spool).
3) Buy a mini-spool (stronger than the weld, and cheap enough if you can find one for the Dana30)
4) Buy a full-spool (stronger than all above, if you can find one)

Personally I prefer a little bit of movement in the gears. Just don't be gunning it before the gears load up or you might grenade them (although I had to do that a couple times to extract a 5000 lb Landcruiser from a bolder infested river bed, and I "didn't" break anything).

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 05:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm not exactly sure what benefit letting the diff have some slop would give. I usually weld everything in sight, except for the cross shaft.(the quazi full spool method) The one mistake I've made is welding spiders with the axle out of the vehichle and the pinion pointed down. The hot spatter went and landed on the pinion[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], duh, me do bad. Oops, anyway other then that little mishap I've had excellent luck but I'd suggest draining the gear oil and refilling right after to get any crud out, especially if you use an arc welder. Good luck
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That little bit of movement helps make steering a little easier. It also helps keep the system from loading up and making it difficult to unlock the hubs. If you don't like it, you only have to replace the side gears, not the whole carrier. Considering everyone on the island here that I know of that runs welded gears runs the Fozzy, I would suspect there are other benefits that I can't think of at the moment.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another one that I've heard of (I think it was on this board) was to go buy a bunch of steel shot and some 24 hour epoxy. Pull the carrier and dam up the sides so the stuff can't escape. Then mix up the epoxy and stir in just as much of the steel shot as it will take and pour it in. Basically cast the spider and side gears in steel shot and epoxy. The guy who did it claimed that it was indestructible and didn't leave slag floating around in the housing.

Sounded interesting to me. I haven't tried it, though. I went with a Detroit because they are so cheap for the 14-bolt.

Jason '87YJ
(350/NP435/D300twinstick/SOA/GM14-FF-Detroit/D44/M8274)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2000, 05:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ahh, I've been enlightened. I didn't consider the ease of unlocking hubs with your setup. Good idea.
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode