Body sources - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 02:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Body sources

OK, kind of a weird question, but here goes:

Company I work for is trying to find a truck/SUV vehicle that will fit between two rail lines. This vehicle needs to be about 62 inches wide. Someone suggested a narrowed jeep, and since they knew I was into jeeps they asked me to look into it.

As we will need a number of these vehicles, the only practical way that I can see it happening is if we were able to buy aftermarket bodies to fit on YJ or TJ frames. So my question is who are the aftermarket body manufacturers?

Thanks for any info.

Chad

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 03:33 PM

Re: Body sources

first, i have done no measuring. this is all from memory. i believe that if you measure the width of a jeep tub (cj, yj, and tj) they are less than 60 inches. so, here are my assumptions: 1) very limited high-speed use. 2) some off-road use. 3)must be street legal. this is my recommendation: buy stock, strip-down version (4cyl, 5spd, no bells or whistles) TJ. remove flares. check to see if bumpers are less than 62inches wide. if they are, make custom bumpers that are less than 62in. get the narrow tires like the old military jeeps, bi-direction straight bar tread. i have seen them for $60ea, and they look cool! may have to have custom wheels made to keep your track width less than 62in. it may be most economical to do this: find a place that widens wheels. have them remove the center section and add more offset to get the tire in closer to the body. this would give you a near stock vehicle (read reliable) with the modifications easily reversible. they would be no less dangerous to operate than a narrow-track cj. hope this helps! let us know what you decide to do. also, feel free to ask for any other ideas! matt

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 06:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Body sources

How 'bout a sami?

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=yellow>Barbie</font color=yellow> <font color=green>drives</font color=green> <font color=yellow>Wrangler</font color=yellow>, <font color=green>I got a YJ</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode