Big truck tranny question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Big truck tranny question

I'm currently trying to find the perfect 5, 6, or 7 speed manual tranny with a 5,6 or7:1 first gear for my Jeep. Right now I know a NV4500 will work with adapters, but I know of a couple of wrecking yard that have rebuilt truck (ie. 1ton and up) trannys for the smae cost as a rebuilt NV4500 and was wandering if anyone know what could be adapted to a small block chevy. Also if anyone knows where i could find more info it would help. I know someone on this board was talking about a Clark. What about Fuller, ZF, NV, NP, Mack, and Spicer trannys. Any info would help. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Big truck tranny question

Many of the truck trannies, including the Clark, ZF, and Mack, are as you said "big truck trannies". I doubt that many companies make adaptors for anything less than "big trucks" (2 1/2 tons). Except for the clark. I do know that you can buy one which mates to a 258 or 350, I think. Look in the ads in almost any fourwheeler month. As for the rest of the trannies, I doubt they will fit. They are just too big and too heavy. Look into the clark thing. Sounds like a great alternative to the infamous NV4500. Bragging rights.
Russ

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 05:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

AlOT of medium Chevy trucks used 366 cuin engines that are "big blocks"...same bolt pattern as small block. Not sure of trannies.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 06:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I had ONE truck (a '70 GMC Gasser Two-ton)with the small-input five speed transmission. It came with a four speed, and I had to look EVERYWHERE to find that five with the teeny input shaft. THAT BOX would have fit yer Jeep same as a 465 tranny. One problem.....it was a Non-Synchromesh tranny, so if you are used to slopping your way through the gears, well....it isn't fer you[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]heh heh...when I got the tranny installed one of my workers hopped in it and drove down the road and back. He came back all distraught: "Boss!" he exclaimed, ""This transmission won't hardly shift....it grinds and grinds before it goes in! What's wrong with it Boss? Is it no good??" I told him to grab right seat and away we went. I used the clutch to start off and went through all five no clutch. It shifted perfect, but it was a MAN's transmission, not fer high skool kids[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 08:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do you know who made the tranny for those GM engines? Also who was it on this board that was putting a clark tranny in there Jeep. Does anyone know of a web site that would give me more info about these trannies. Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 09:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] In my search for that small-input five-speed I called everybody out here on the Jest Coast. Lehr Bros....Frank Steuber...all of them. Altogether they had over 3000 boxes in stock, and did not have that one. Then one Saturday I was over at my yard doing something to one of the rigs and in drove a Junk Man. I'm negotiating with him about the brass and copper, and I'm leaning on his pickup and what do I see in the back but a small-input five. There was also a BIG input(std) five there that was broken. I asked him what they were and he lamented:"OH Man.....I needed a tranny for my big junk hauler and I found this one but it won't fit!" I could hardly believe it. Fifteen minutes later he had the copper and brass....I had a small-input five-speed tranny for my service truck! Wierd, huh?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Look for two-ton chevy and jimmy trucks, they used that box in the gassers.....those that were five speeds.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Boy I have seen alot of these old [not that old ] farm trucks with 5sp's.
Allot of them have been chevys . I have thought about them myself. If you ask
those that drive them if they are an overdrive all you get is the deer in the head lights look????
As I was writeing this soomthing else came to mind. I was a a school bus sale.
I was going to move and the thought came to mind to buy one move and sale it.
WELL they where Internationals,I was told The ones with the 2sp rears had 4 sp trans and the ones with the single speed rears where 5 sp. Got to wonder 5sp clarks with od???????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????
JUST DON'T KNOW??Guess I should start crawing under some trucks.?????????????

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 10:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah I need to make some phone calls and see if they will let me examine the trannies that they have rebuilt and the ones still in the trucks. The only disadvantage that I can see about these truck trannies compared to the NV 4500 is smoothness of shifting. This could be interesting if I can find a tranny that will work.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 12:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yep, when you learn to wiggle the stick in a non syncro tranny, it really is a pleasure to use, and those clutches are good for several hundred thousand miles 'cause they get use so little. Last Mack I had was showing about 550,000 on the clock and the engine had been opened twice for head gaskets, a couple of injectors and oil changes. The tranny and clutch had never been touched.
Problem with a non syncro in a small gas engine - small as compared to the big diesels - is that they wind and unwind more quickly making the rpm gate much smaller so your timing has to be real good to get them to shift. Those big slow turning engines leave all kinds of time for the gears to line up.

Doug '97 TJ
Creator of the CBrack
CBrack.com
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 05:37 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Er...Doug....my little over-the-road moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]keeps mumbling something like: "Up to 2000....back off 200....clutch to neutral.....clutch out and back off 200....find the gate......up to 2000...back off to..." What's up with that? He began doing that just after he read your post?????[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode