No Fuel into the carb???????? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

No Fuel into the carb????????

OK,,

went to start up the jeep today (1985 cj7 258), it started then died to seconds later.

when i tried to start it back up, it wouldnt turn over. tried it a few times still nothing.

so i look down the carb and push the throttle linkage (engine off) and no fuel comes out the jets. tried this a bunchof times with the same result.

i know i have gas so its not that i've run out. could it be the fuel pump?

any suggestions???
HEEEEEEEELLLLLLLPPPPP

thanks

<font color=red>Jeep'n Greg</font color=red>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: No Fuel into the carb????????

Sounds like the fuel pump to me. If you are still running the mechanical pump, disconnect it after the pump, run the hose into a can, and turn the engine over for a few seconds. If no gas into the can, you can bet its the pump. The fuel pumps are relatively inexpensive and very easy to change.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 03:38 PM

try taking your gas cap off. when you do, listen for a hiss like its pulling air in. i had a buddy that would have to do this every once in a while on a 1976 cj-7 that had an electric fuel pump. seemed that the vent lines would clog and the tank would create a vacuum. i doubt this will fix it, but it sure is cheap and easy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 04:16 PM

Gotta work your way back through the system. I chased a problem like this around off and on for several months...turned out the problem was in my carb. disconnect the hose between your filter and the carb inlet & stick the end of the hose in a bottle. Crank and see if there's gas in the bottle. If yes, good chance the problem is in your carb...if no, disconnect the inlet to the filter and stick the end of that hose in a bottle...crank & look for gas again. Then work your way back to the pump & beyond as needed. This can take you back as far as the pickup/sender/filter assembly in the gas tank.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:55 PM
Can't Get Enough

You need to check fuel pump pressure and volume. You can check pressure at the small return line on the fuel filter. It should have 4 to 7 lbs pressure, and hold pressure after you quit cranking. If it dosn't, and you don't have any leaks on the pressure side, the pump is bad. If it is in specs, do a volume test.

To properly check volume, it should be done at the return line with the engine running. Specs are something like 1 pint in 20 seconds. If the volume is low, or the engine dosn't run, then do the bottle check. This is done at the pressure side from the pump. When you put the hose in a bottle, use a clear container. Crank the engine over until the fuel comes above the hose. At this point, watch for bubbles. If you get bubbles, and volume is low, it usually means that you are sucking air. That means that there is a leak on the suction side. CJ's are notorious for sucking air at the lines coming from the sending unit, so you may just want to replace them for principle.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sometimes they are just stubborn...Pour some gas in a oil bottle or something and get it running by bottle feeding, sometimes it just takes awhile to get fuel.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 10:58 AM
brendan

The needle on my last BBD used to stick occasionally. It wouldn't let any fuel into the carb. If your fuel pump seems to be working fine, try removing the hard line from the brass seat on the carb. you should be able to see the point of the needle in there. Use a straightened paper clip to softly push in the needle. It should move easily. Hook the line back up and try to start it.

If it starts, you have identified the problem. Now you can ride around with a few wrenches and a paper clip, or you can tear off the carb and fix it. The needle is square sided, and the corners of the square can bind on the bore of the seat. I rounded the corners very gently with a file, being careful not to leave any burrs. Don't remove too much material, on the fit of the needle will be too sloppy, causing the valve to not seat properly. this should cure it.

By the way, if you don't have a pressure gauge, a fuel pump should shoot fuel out the removed line, not just dribble. Picture a powerful ejaculation for reference. Brendan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode