My project is looking like a JEEP !! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

My project is looking like a JEEP !!

My brother was over this weekend and helped me hang the hard doors and fenders. It's actually starting to look like a Jeep!
After the holes are all drilled and everything is mounted, it will come apart and get painted. I can't believe it has come this far and it's still cold outside. I just may get to enjoy it this summer!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, The body is on the frame now!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-376944-326a.jpg (57.8 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 10:23 AM
JP2LV

Re: My project is looking like a JEEP !!

Thats lookin pretty good! What size tires are you goin with? Is that a new frame from a place like AFW or something?

<font color=blue>Jon</font color=blue>
<font color=blue>'95 YJ - 32x11.50 - 4 banger!<font color=blue>
<font color=red>I Jeep to Live, I Live to Jeep!<font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 11:08 AM
Way Outta Control

Man... that's the ugliest damn grill I've ever seen! Glad to know it fit and it's not goin' to waste.

The Project is looking good! Here's hoping you have it done in time for summer weather... If I can get mine done in time for good weather lets meet somewhere and celebrate with a rootbeer float!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 11:38 AM

Looks good, now it just needs some monster meets.
Barrelroll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks guys, tonight I got the drivers seat bolted in...that was it for the night, just sat in it in the garage, looked through the windshield frame, and finished my Leinie's (Thats Lienenkugels for those of you too far away from the upper mid-west[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]).

Yes Jon, the frame is from Advanced Frame Works in Montanna. There have been a few quirks working with it but nothing near the problems I figured I'd have. All of the holes are there AND tapped for the correct size threads for whatever bolts on.

Sounds good Larry, pick the spot and I'll meet you there! (thanks again for the grille[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img])

As far as tires go, I've measured and should have plenty of clearance for 33's (2.5" springs, 1/2" shackles, 1" body lift) but with the stock 258 and 3.31 gears I just didn't think I'd have enough grunt to turn them well. I'm puttin' 31 X 10.50 BFG Mud T/A's on it. If I can find a pair of widetrack axles that have like 3:73's or better for a decent price, I may swap them in and put the 33's on. I am not going to put gears/axle shafts/lockers in the AMC 20/ Dana 30's just to have them not be enough axle when I eventually do a V8 conversion.

Mike H.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 02:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HEY-Make sure you put some kind of plating under your seat mounts and your seat-belt mount...it should be larger than 2"X2"...my glass tub had that under the seats and the seatbelts and when I was rearended it pulled the 2"X2" plate right through the glass tub with the wooden inserts...just to warn you...hitting the steering wheel is no fun...

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2001, 07:23 PM

I like the color scheme Looks pretty good man, where did you get your fiber body and how much $$$ ??? if ya dont mind me askin'..
thanks

-ben....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Mark, I think I read a post from you about the seatbelts tearing through the floor. I am backing them up with 4" diameter, .100" stainless plates that I cut out on the laser at work. I figure if 4" pulls through, then I wasn't going to make it anyways.

Ben, the 'glass is from 4 Wheel Drive Hardware. The tub was $1500 and the fenders were $150 each. They seem really tuff too! My prior experience with fiberglass bodies was with drag racing parts, and boy was that stuff flimsy! I'm using my original hood and tailgate, a grille donated by the fantastic Larry Van Every (LEVE) and hard doors i picked up for sale on this board a couple years ago. Yes it will be all one color, I'm leaning towards the bright copper metalic that I've seen on new TJ's and Dodge Dakotas.

Should be running this spring (late) if I find a reasonable paint guy soon.

Mike H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode