My quest for the supple ride - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 11:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My quest for the supple ride

I onw a 2.5" Rancho lift and I would like a softer ride out of my CURRENT springs. I do NOT want to spend more money for new springs. I am currently looking for some place that sells Graphite Paint. I have tried the local tractor shop and they had no clue what it was. I also called several other shops in my area and they do not know where to find it. At any rate, I am looking to get a softer ride out of my Rancho Springs. I have the Rancho 5000's and I think that they are my problem. The 2.5' lift flexes alright, I can run over a 3-foot Kelly Hump without problems with 33's. I thought about graphite paint, pulling up the spring retainers to allow the spring to droop a little bit more, and.....what else. I would like your suggestions please. I have thought about making a homebrew shackle reversal up front with the 2.5" springs and loosing the rear springs in favor of a custom shackle reversal/lift with some stock springs and a 3/4 elliptic setup. This would require some shop time and I do not yet have the welding skill to do this job. So, lets stick with just modifying the current springs. I appreciate all ideas.
THANX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: My quest for the supple ride

Here's my take on it:

First off, make sure your shackles aren't over torqued. I run mine at 20 ft.lbs and check them often. Also make sure your not running too much air in the tires. I run 22-26 psi with the 31" BFG ATs, depending on load.

I'd lose a leaf from each pack and make it up with some mild lift shackles. New rubber bushings all around would help. Don't forget that bad body mount bushings or stiff poly bushings will effect your precieved comfort.

Loosening the clamps is a good idea. A few coats of Hammerite (smooth) should work well if you don't use the graphite. Teflon pads on the ends of the springs help. Softer shocks, but not too soft.

Forget about the SR!

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I already have the shackle lift and unfortunately I have Poly Bushings all around. I can not get to my jeep at the moment but I should be able to shortly. I was thinking about the graphite paint b/c several people used it and had good things to say about it. Where can I look for the teflon pads and how do you install them once you find them? I am thinking about putting the shackle lift on a lower setting if possible, the list of mods I got with the jeep from the previous owner listed the shackles as 1.5" lift shackles.
THANX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 01:43 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Cheap graphite paint - get some dry graphite powder and a can of paint at the tractor supply store and make your own [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] a friend did this, puleld his packs apart, and painted each leaf - making sure to keep the graphite suspended in the paint while he was working.

Also, as someone else said - ditch the poly bushings and go rubber if you can...

Again as someone else said - make sure the shackles are not too tight, I see this all the time, and made the same mistake when I did my first lift shackle kit...

I don't suggest pulling leaves out of the pack - you will screw with the stagger of the leaves and put a "hot spot" in the pack so that it will end up bending at the insupported section. I have built several packs from scratch, senn it many times...

I agree as well that your shocks are adding to the problem. RS5k's are notorious for being valved way too stiff. For a cheap alternative, try some ProComp ES3000's for about $30 each - you canget them in any lenght you want just like for Rancho shocks...

Let us know how this all works out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<a href="http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota">
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 02:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Any decent spring shop should have the Teflon pads. I had to settle for Nylon or something like that because we only have two spring shops here in town. One didn't have either kind and the other only had the Nylon.....seem to work ok though.

My stock springs ('77) already had holes punched for the pads (three of the seven leaves I think; second, third, and forth from the main leaf). If you don't have these you can get the spring shop to punch them out for you. I was quoted about $10 per pack in Canadian funds to do mine if I needed it.

The pads will add a little height to your lift...maybe an 1/8"-1/4".......hard to say, I rebuilt my stock springs and gained back almost 3/4" from cleaning of the friction creating rust and dirt, and adding the new pads with Hammerite.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 03:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have already done what you are talking about. I took apart my spring packs, sand blasted them, got them real smooth, painted them, and inserted teflon pads. It helped a little bit, but the real problem is the design of the springs. There is a direct corrolation between the number of leafs and the softness. But like you, I can't afford to put in a new set. There is some good news...I just installed Rancho 9000 shocks, and with the setting on 1 the ride is acceptable....I have some pics of the mod, but I have to find them...as soon as I do, I'll post them again.

FYI...you can get the teflon pads from National Spring...they are about 50 cents each.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 04:05 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

You said you already have lift shackles - this may be your problem. Some of the ones with the "H" welded in make it so tight to push the spring and bushings in between, that loosening the bolts doesn't do any good in letting them move - epsecially with the poly bushings. Perhaps go back to stock shackles that you can truly loosen up, or make your own if you need the lift height out of flat plate, so you can loosen them.

Just a thought
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMT,9kwinch,homemade swingout,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI,one moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 12:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That would be great DDAWG if you can find the pics, look up my name on the board and find the e-mail address listed there. I was wanting to put the RS9000's on but I am going to wait until summer when they go on sale for [email protected]$200. Then I will install new brake lines and a 3/4 elliptic rear and take measurements so I only order them once. I do not know of any local spring shops, small city. I will try and get ahold of Nat. Spring. Also, to the guy who said to make my own cheap paint. if I can't find any, how much graphite vs. paint here?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 10:04 PM

Old Man Emu also sells the Teflon Pads...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode