231 Buick swap for 2.5L - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 11:01 PM
Wrangler88

231 Buick swap for 2.5L

will the buick 231 V6 from an 80's regal hook up to an AX-5? and if so has anyone tired this? anyone know the horsepower or torque of the 231? is it a good engine? does it seem like a worthy investment, i can get the running engine for free, i just need to get all the adapters for it.
thanks guys!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual-dixie horn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 11:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 231 Buick swap for 2.5L

I don't know if it will hook up to a AX-5 but I have a 231 in my CJ7. I can't remember the rating for the engine but I'll try to find them. I like the engine but I will eventually go with a 350 or 383 Chevy just because I like those engines a lot. It seems to have enough power for most thing (it pulled a 4wd Diesel tractor out of a ditch once) but my gear ratio is a high (17:1 crawl). The thing that I like about it is that it is a lighter than the 258 (but so is a 350). If you are replacing a 4cyl then the 231 would be nice, but if you are replacing a 258 then it probably wouldn't be worth the money or time.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 11:20 AM

Here is what I found....

Advacned Adapters have a motor to transmission adapter plate for $450.78 (which is most likely a bell housing). Here is the part number and info:

712565 JEEP AX5/GM & BUICK BHSG

The biggest concern would be the degree V of the V6. If it is a 90 degree V, then you can use standard V8 weld-in motor mounts (the don't have to be welded though). If it is a 60 degree V, you will have to get another set. They are a bit more pricey. Also, if you go with them, ditch the cheesy washer they give you to use on the drivers side that is supposed to keep the bolt from coming through the bracket attached to the frame. It doesn't and will fail quickly. Use a nice and thick washer from a hardware store (I used use for a top shock washer from a foriegn car).

I'd look at what special clutch/flywheel you MIGHT have to get. When I did my 229 Chevy V6, it was stock Chevy parts. I'd ask Advacned about it to be sure as well as around here (try asking for a V8 swap to get more info).

Here is where I found the info on the prices: http://www.advanceadapters.com/BUYERSGUIDE/price.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 11:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Your question about the 231 hooking to an AX-5.... Parts Mike has posted on this. I recall that he said that the 231 removed from a FWD vehicle will bolt to the AX-5, and that the 231 removed from a RWD vehicle has the BOP bellhousing bolt-pattern. My recollection about the Regal... I believe it is RWD, so I think your answer is 'no'. You might want to ask PM your question. He knows for sure.

bobH
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2000, 09:07 AM

Another thought.....

Why not find a used Chevy transmission and a NP231 from a S-10 with a 4.3 in it?? It might be cheaper than the adapter....of course, I don't know which side the front driveline come off the transfer case. But, it is worth taking a look in a junk yard.....

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2000, 07:40 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

It's a great engine. Lighter than a Chevy 4.3L. Jeep used its' predecessor, the 225 Buick from '66-'71 in CJ's and Jeepsters, (Jeep actually bought the tooling from Buick to build the 225 and then sold it back to Buick when Kaiser sold Jeep to AMC, hence the 231 debuted in '75). Specs for a '80 231/3.8L are 110 HP @ 3800 rpm and 190 lbs torque @ 1600 rpm. Turbocharged models were 170 HP @ 4000 rpm & 265 lbs torque @ 2400 rpm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode