shackle TECH - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

shackle TECH

ok, I have no stock shackles to go from, my rig sports some homemade shackles
that look like a 9th grade shop project that failed.

Ive thought of some different designs, Im wondering if they should be allowed to twist and flex? or be really rigid?

should i just use side pieces and no cross brace?

what is stock CJ shackle length hole to hole?

I was thinking of building some about 3.5 is that pretty close to stock?

also Im planning to use CJ rear springs up front, so Ill redo the front spring hanger, but I wonder what the weight capacity of the springs are Cj front, VS CJ rear?

thanks, this is the most incredible medium/tool/resource/complilation of folks and info imaginable!

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: shackle TECH

I will probably be doing the same thing in the next couple of weeks. My stock shackles were 3" center of hole to center of hole. Let me know how it goes. I'll probably go with 1" longer than stock.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 10:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stock - 3" eye to eye, a little over 4.5" total length, and almost 1.75" wide.

I would go with a shackle anywhere up to 3" over stock in length to get up to 1.5" of lift. You may need shims to correct caster for that amount of lift, I'm not sure.

I would use 3/8" thick 2" wide mild steel, and 1/2" grade 8 or 5 bolts. Drill a third hole in each shackle half (approximately in the middle) to serve an additional bolt and steel sleeve. You stick the bolt through one half, then put the sleeve over the bolt (use a thick walled section of steel pipe), then stick the bolt through the other half and secure with a nut. You can now have this tight for the street, and then lossen or remove for off-road to allow for max flex.

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

'87 Samurai Stock (for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 06:26 AM

I went one inch over to. Bought some 2in steel in 1/4 inch. The big thing is to get the inside measurement, from bushing to bushing. ESPECIALLY if your switching bushing's to poly one's. There is a post from about a week back where guys had trouble and they had to spread the shackles out to get them to fit (like me). Other than that i used some 1 3/4 x 1 3/4 tubing for the inside.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 07:46 AM

Definitely go with jo-jo's idea, put a bolt with a sleeve on it to hold the two sides of the shackles together. If you weld a crossmember between the two, they are a pain in the a$$ to get on!!! Man, that whole day just sucked!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 08:04 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Every time I saw a shackle with a piece welded in the middle, I thought: "HUH?" It LOOKS cool, and it LOOKS strong, but it's the LAST thing you want for articulation. All it would do is stress the springs that much more. Use the spacer, and an ESNA locknut that will stay wherever you set it. Heck, if I had MY way, it would be a BALL joint. The spring would have a special bolt-on end which had a ball and the loweer end of the shackle would be a split socket. Ozark....you probably don't want to hear this, but in so many ways, you think like a conservative. Yet you support the scumb....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]... well, you know what I mean[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] By the way....ALL spring shackle bolts should be either the EXACT length SHOULDER BOLTS, or they need to have ESNA locknuts. There really is no other way to hold a specific tension on the bushings. Moving the rear springs up front may make a difference. From the data gathered lately, the rear axle weights are more than 200 lbs difference. (Rear is heavier)which surprised me[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 09:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ozark.
If you're after articulation it's boomerang all the way. My buddy spent about 1 hour building a set for his 77 cj5 and the end result was 400!!! not a typo extra points on a 24 degree ramp. And CJDave is as correct as ever on the bolts and leave out the cross brace. I'll try to get some picture of the shackles, in the mean time make do with my doodle. I'm still struggling to learn how to use my new AutoCad 14. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

Inquire about my witty original saying contest[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 9-30463-boomerang.bmp (39.4 KB, 4 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 10:18 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

The only thing a boomerang shackle does is address clearance issues Jeep screwed up in the first place, and gets you the shackle travel most vehicle came with from the factory...

As to shackle length, I always save that for last - as it is best to account for spring lenght, eye locations, and shackle angle to come up with the shackle length that is right for your vehicle to allow the springs to do their job.

<a href="http://www.tennessee4x4.com/toyota">
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 10:21 AM

Ozark,
The suggestions for no cross member on the shackles is deffinitely the way to go. But another big improvement for the front articulation on the CJs is to go to a shackle reverse, and use the longer stock YJ leafs. This give much more flex but allows a more gradual transfer of weight. You really have to drive a set-up like this to believe how much difference it makes. The dimensions for the distance between the front hanger and shackle are critical however for different performance charcteristics.
Jeff,
89 Wrangler

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

ok, I had planned these super strong cross braces..
hehe, but not using them will be easier!!

Ill probably go an inch or less over stock length

I like the boomerang idea!, what are the benifits? any drawbacks?
thanks for the drawing its very clear
My plans are to use CJ rear leaves in teh front, so all 4 springs are the same, and thats why I was asking about the spring rate..

arent YJ and CJ springs the same width? How much adjustment would it take to lengthen to fit Yj springs??

But see, I ALREADY HAVE 4 CJ rear springs!!!

CJDave, Im not sure what a EPSNAQITY locking nut is?
Ive seen teh kind with te nylon insert, and what exactly is a shoulder bolt? I know it has a certain threaded length, then maybe a lip or shoulder to pinch the back side of whatever its clamping?

OzarkJeep
77 CJ5, in a bunch of pieces right now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode