Is this the right 4.0 configuration for swap? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Is this the right 4.0 configuration for swap?

I have put together a list of items for getting a 1994-95 4.0L YJ engine to put in a 85 CJ. I choose the 94-95 model because of not having the more complicated SMOG sensors and fuel delivery system. Since HESCO's MPI kit is based on a 1995 fuel delivery kit, I figured it could not be all bad. Here is my check list, did I miss anything?

One Complete 1994 or 95 YJ (Wrangler) 4.0L Motor with all accessories including;

--Motor mounts attached

--Wiring harness (not hacked) and accessories, from the fan to the flywheel w/flexplate)

--Crankshaft needs to have hole for pilot bushing

--Flywheel attached to motor has to have come mated to a 5spd.manual tranny in its previous life.

--A/C compressor, evaporator, dryer, hoses/lines etc.

--Non busted or cracked exhaust manifold including the O2 sensor in the exhaust pipe, catalytic converter and O2 sensors fore and aft of the catalytic, including the muffler

--The MAP sensor and all the relays on the firewall

--Throttle cable attached to engine

--Starter, starter and battery cables

--Engine Computer (for use with 5 speed [Manual] transmission)

--Air/breather intake box and ducting

--All fuel and vacuum lines

I mating the 4.0 to a T176, which pilot bushing do I use?. Thanks a ton guys.
--Duane

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/258/T176/Dana300-Looking 4 a 95 4.0L Motor, SS gas tank, & chrome spoke wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 05:40 PM

Re: Is this the right 4.0 configuration for swap?

Don't forget the fuel pump, and filters.
GP'n

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

GP'n;
Your 100% correct. I was not going to get that from the junk yard, but from NAPA. Thanks, --Duane

85 CJ8 Undergoing Frame-up Modifications w/258/T176/Dana300-Looking 4 a 95 4.0L Motor, SS gas tank, & chrome spoke wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 07:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

There is no downstream O2 sensor, that started in '96. Toss the exhaust and have a shop install a new one with catalyst. Fuel pump and filter, best to go in tank. You will probably need a custom bell-housing to mount the crank angle sensor and have it mate to your T-176. You will also probably want to just put new battery cables and throttle cable (yj) on it. They are only a few bucks. You should also toss the stock air filter housing, and buy one from a TJ, and hack saw off the end, and install a K&N cone. Make sure you get the alternator, power steering pump, and brackets for the serpentine belt setup, much nicer than v-belts and the PCM controlls the alternator field. This keeps the check eng light out. Also snag the high pressure p/s line. Don't bother with the mounts, your CJ mounts will work.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:07 PM

You'll need fuel lines (I think I'm gonna scrap my custom bent add-on lines and see if Hesco or Mopar will sell me the hoses they use for the 4.2 MPI kit so I don;t have as many connections and places for a possible leak), VSS (Hesco sells the one used in the MPI kit which supplies the electrical signal to the PCM and has a hook-up for the mechanical speedo...'93+ YJ's use an electronic speedo), battery tray (later model YJ's have a distribution center that mounts to a tray on the front of the battery tray), charcoal canister (late model YJ has fewer hook-ups). That's the only addtional stuff I can come up with off the top of my head beyond what was mentioned in the other posts. Check out my site at http://jeepskate.4x4.org
There's a link to tech articles off the main page and you'll find a scanned in magazine article on this swap off of that which may be helpful to you.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 01:07 AM
Old Hand

On the crank sensor, Hesco sells a harmonic balancer that works instead of the flywheel. If your bellhousing works, except for accomodating the crank sensor, you may want to consider the new harmonic balancer and crank sensor that mounts to the oil pan.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 08:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did this several years ago. Like several of the others posted, you don't need motor mounts. I did change mine to MORE Bomb Proof and the motor does not move. Never have to worry about puncturing oil filter. Fuel filter in the tank is the way to go. It is a good time to increase size . I ditched the flex fan, not enough room between the fan and the radiator to suit me. 1/2" -3/4". I found a fan spacer and a new fan blade and installed. No cooling problems yet. I was not fortunate to get a complete harness with my motor so I purchased one from Jeep. I used a AA belhousing for the crank sensor. I have a T18 tranny and it bolted up with only drilling and tappping 2 holes. You will need the fly wheel if you do it this way. If you use the Harmonic sensor you can use your original bell housing. A/C ? I have one but it will be for airing up tires. O2 sensor is neededand it is after the ehaust manifold in the down pipe. Map is important as well as the throttle cable . It will be touchier than you are currently used to, but you will adjust and I now like it better. Quicker responce. I would ditch the air box and use a Turbo City or a TJ air tube with a K&N filter. I rerouted my fuel lines to the driver side, makes it easier to connect with 4.0. Napa was a big hep when I did mine. I used a 4 cyl PS pump and res. I also found a PS cooler in a salvage yard and plumbed it in. I resently found a salvagable wiring harness for the interior portion and now all those splices are eliminated. I even installed the wrangler heater controls and discarded the pull cables.. Much cleaner. Look up the blower motor swap and do it at the same time. Well worth it. If you want to add a temp gauge, use the back port on the cyl head . The front is for the computer. As Jeepskate wrote , you will need the Power Distribution box ,it contains the relays and fuses, and the YJ battery cables attach to it and the starter. Hope this helps , Brian

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 08:22 AM

One more thing. Toss the exhaust manifold. They're prone to cracking. Put on a Borla header instead while you've got the engine out or at least the front clip off and don't have to work around the confines of the engine bay.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode