Which Cat? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which Cat?

I am ready to replace my catalytic converter (have to keep it) and am wondering which is the best to buy. Has anyone tried the high flow models and is there a difference that makes them better than a stock replacement?

As always, I appreciate any opinions and experiences rendered. Thanks!

92 YJ/4.OL I6/ 4"Superlift/1" Daystar Poly Body Lift/ 32X11.5 BFG's/8K lb Superwinch/Yada, Yada, Yada,

Go Hard or go home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:32 PM
BMB
Veteran

Re: Which Cat?

When I was replacing one on a 3.0 I looked at a few different universal replacements(non hi-flow). The one I got was rated for use on up to a 350ci engine. It had 2.25" inlet and outlet and the outlets were a smooth funnel shape that would let the exhaust flow smoothly in and out. The interior welds and joints should be smooth also or be able to be ground down smooth. I did this because I read an article that basically said that the inlet/outlets are the source of most backpressure and turbulence in a good converter.
BMB

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 10:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which Cat?

Hey...the aftermarket performance or upgraded catalytic converters will add some horespower...but the actuall benifit is the price difference. The factory replacement cat will cost you about $400+/-...an aftermarket performance cat from Summitracing.com are much cheaper...or try a local speed shop they have ones from Walker, Dynomax and Flowtech...Walker/Dynomax are the same companies and the 2 1/4" high flows go for $64.99 at my shop...but shop around...and also your cat style is the same 'honeycomb' style but the aftermarket is shorter in length but is worth the swap. You will have to add a small mid-pipe to make up the difference in the cat length difference...

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode