what do you think of my money making idea? OT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what do you think of my money making idea? OT

Well I was looking for Jeeps at autotrader.com and noticed that there are a lot of CJ's for sale under $5000. Most of these were down south and in other areas and were not rusted out. I live in Michigan and a CJ of any kind is pretty rare here. Whenever there is one in the paper for sale it is gone within a week for sure. It seems like they go faster and sell for more than a wrangler. So anyway, my idea is to go buy a Jeep that is in relativly good condition, clean it up, fix it up a little and sell it for more than I paid for it. Obviously I would like a large margin, but I figured $1000 for a $4-5k vehicle would be pretty reasonable. What do you think?
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 02:14 PM
BHT

Re: what do you think of my money making idea? OT

I've got a buddy that does this with early Broncos. He buys them locally, cleans them up and takes them to California. Sometimes he doubles his money.

BHT
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>How do you get it to Michigan/wherever for less than your profit margin? Gas, insurance, advertising. what if you can't sell it?

Good idea... needs some work (GOD! I SOUND LIKE MY BOSS!)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 03:07 PM

Im selling my relatively rust free cj
If I was rich..there is this guy I was talking to on jeepin.com message board.He said his neighbor was selling his defender 90.I was like how much..he said like under 10,000 or something for a late model one.I haven't seen an old one for that much on autotrader.com..they all start at 20,000!He said it only cost him 1,000 to get his zj sent over there from texas.
If I only had a lot of money

1976 CJ5
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 04:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you can find a way to transport them cheaply enough you can make some money,but why limit your self to just CJs most older cars from the south west are rust free and if you know the right ones to buy the kind hot rodders and people interested in restoration would be interested in you could make a good profit at doing this.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 04:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my boss does this with older chevies for demo derbies!he knows a guy that travels out west and he gets him to bring back good solid GM wagons and then smashes them to smithereens.it takes all types.he he he

'78 cj-5 black JEEP squadron
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 06:37 PM

sounds like a good idea if you have the time. Remeber though if buy a CJ for $4000, put $600-$700 in to fix it and then sell it for $6000 youve made about $1200-$1300. Sounds like a lot but not if it takes you 80-100 hours. You need to think about the drives down there and back( you will need to bring someone with you), the hotels and travel costs. If it takes you 3 days to get down south, do your deal, and come back thats 72 hours x 2 people. Food for thought...

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the replys everyone...Pretty much the same stuff I was thinking about. I have access to a truck and trailer to transport jeeps, and I would have to pay for fuel but thats it. Also, I was thinking a quick clean up fix up, not spending a lot of time on that. So I guess the big time expenditure would be actually getting the Jeeps. I would limit myself to Jeeps because I know more about them than anything else...have to be a knowledgable buyer if you want to turn a profit at selling used vehicles. As far as advertising, autotrader.com is fairly cheap, and I have sold a lot of stuff by setting it in my front yard, doesn't get any cheaper than that...I think I'll run some numbers on a Jeep and see if it would be worth it.
Thanks
Dan

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Also some states have a limit on the no. of vehicles you can buy and sell before you need a dealer license.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I figured I would get around that by putting them in my dads name if I had to...Also I forgot to mention that the whole reason i was even thinking about this was because I was trying to figure out a job for this summer after school is done. I figured what would be a better job than buying and selling Jeeps? How else can you make money on Jeeps?
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode