Moving the axle forwards, but what about steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Moving the axle forwards, but what about steering

I want to set up my Jeep so the front tires just stick out past the bumper (with 38" tires). I had the Jeep set on a lift just right to roll the 38s next to it to see where I wanted them. It seems that I'll have to move the front axle forwards 11" to get the desired approach angle. Unfortunately this sticks it right under the end of the pitman arm. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I'll be ditching the leaf-springs, so I dont need the forward spring mount anymore. If move the steering box forwards (and down a bit to clear the tubular cross-member.) 4", do you think that will work? When I build the new front bumper I can add on a nice beffy shield to protect and brace the steering box.

If you think it is impossible to move the axle forwards 11" even with the steering box moved, how far do you think I can move it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 04:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Moving the axle forwards, but what about steering

11" seems a little much, pull the bumper back and try that...

I moved the box the first time I stretched mine, it worked..
When I went to the coil-overs, I didn't want the box sticking out there, so I went with hydraulic steering, it seemed easier than the other schemes I came up with.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 04:57 PM
cj7jeep

Yes 11" sounds a little too much. Here is a pic of my CJ7 with 40's. I moved the front axle foreward around 1.75". With a bumper that doesn't stick out too far you should be ok.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-376247-Mvc-143s.jpg (37.7 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

I'm really trying to get a greater-than 180 degree approach angle. I think that by running a hydraulic steering setup, I could get away with it. Maybe chop some of the frame of the end as well, but where will I put a winch then? Maybe right below the grill in a special cross-member? I'll be running a hydraulic winch too, so I'm going to have to find a way to run more than one hydraulic pump to keep up with the demands.

I may (hell, probably will) just give in and only move it as far forwards as the stock steering will allow.... I'd rather drive straight up something; but approaching at an angle, if possible, will do just as well I guess....

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You don't want that heavy thing up there anyway, My midship winch design was a stroke of genius. (IMHO)

Why do you want a barge winch anyway ? ...I hope you're not building some 6000 lb. sled.

Just move the wheels up and the bumper back, keep the front light and the springs stiff enough that you can hit it hard w/out bending something, you'll get the tires on it. : )
...then you'll want some instant horsepower, to get the rear wheels over.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

I'm going with coils up front, and am not looking for a stiff ride! What is this "midship winch" you wrote about?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 04:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

How would I go about moving my front axle foward about an inch when I do my d44 swap? I want to do this because I'm going to be doing an SRS and don't want rubbing when my front axle moves back because of the new shackle in back.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Eat, Sleep, JEEP[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
"James and the Giant Jeep"
1993 Wrangler 4.0/5spd, Herculined Interior, D44s Soon
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Even stiff coils will ride better than leaves, because there is no friction...What you want is variable rate coils, soft in the first few inches, then stiffer as it compresses, that way you have a tough suspension that rides nice.

I mounted the winch behind the passenger seat and routed the cable to the front bumper, through a proprietary process. ; ) It gives me a 50/50 ft/rear weight ratio (without the top)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:58 AM
Official Historian

Here's what I got for my front axle to keep the wheels off the fenders with the SRS. This is from MORE's site. http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catal...g Hardware.htm

Off-Set Plates:

Now you can move the axle on the leaf springs with out major modifications. Use these special off-set plates to re-locate the axle either 3/4" or 1" forward or back depending on which hole you choose. You must also drill your U-Bolt plate. 1/4" thick, steel.

PART NUMBER DESCRIPTION NOTES PRICE
OP20 For 2" wide leaf springs. Pair $15.00
OP25 For 2-1/2" wide leaf springs
Pair $15.00

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/RS9000s/Herculiner/Pro-jection 2D/MSD/4.10s/lockrights
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

If your building your own SRS, just mount the front hangers further forwards. You can even angle them forwards so they are directly under the bumper if you want. Then mount the rear shackle where-ever the other end of the leaf pack determines that it should go. Have you seen the "shackle-mount on top of the frame-rail" setup that Elusive designed? I allows you to keep the SRS lift to a minimum while keeping spring movement to a maximum.

How is the cable routed for the "midship" winch? Does the winch just face straight down and use the roller-failead stuck through the floor? I am having trouble seeing how you found a straight line of space to run the winch cable to the front bumper. Also, what exactly is it mounted to? I can't see the bodie's sheet-metal holding it in place.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode