360 engine swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

360 engine swap

I have an old CJ-5 that I can't seem to sell. I have thought reciently about trying to find someone with a vehicle with a 360 and seeing if I can trade them for it. I am hopeing that I can find someone with a rebuildable motor in a trashed out body that has power steering and air conditioning (I want to convert the compresser over to air). My question is how hard is it to swap this motor into my '80 CJ-7? I have a 258 and an automatic trany. I would think that the new motor should bolt to the trany fine, but how about space and engine mounts? I would like to sell the jeep for $1400, so is this a fair trade? I know a new motor costs about $1200 for the block, but I would have to buy the rest. How much does it cost to rebuild a motor that has been pulled out of a vehicle? Any help would be great. Thanks Tipp

My girlfriend said if I spent one more dime on my Jeep she would leave. Man I'm going to miss her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 360 engine swap

Tipp-

The swap would depend upon the age of the CJ5. Need more info.

Kriss

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All you need is a rustbucket wagoneer/cherokee, everything is there for $300

To rebuild it right, will probably start at $150 a hole, and it can get real ugly fast.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i'm in the same boat as you are. i though about getting a core and rebuilding it myself. but when i added up all the cost and time of the rebuild kit and all the machine work it was just to expensive for me. i will most likely be putting a used engine in. one that has about 60,000 miles on it. there is a place here in ft collins colorado that has some and they give a one year unlimited warrenty. i'll be able to inspect the engine before i buy it. i would take the oil pan off and take one or two of the main bearing caps off and look at the bearings and the crank for any sings of wear. i will also be able to see a little of the cylinder walls to see how scratched up they are.

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode