fan clutch vs. electric fan? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

fan clutch vs. electric fan?

My CJ7 (258) has a spacer bolting the fan to the pulley. I was going to get a thermal fan clutch so it isn't always spinning at full speed. It's $50 though. My buddy is telling me to spend the $$$ on an electric fan- more HP and H20 pump lasts longer. Any thoughts? What size electic fan fits an '82 CJ with 3 core radiator?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 02:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: fan clutch vs. electric fan?

Unless you get one with the dual fans, it'll be a waste of money.At least around here anyway.Go with the clutch fan and be done with it.The dual fans are up around the 200.00 dollar mark.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 02:41 PM

I was thinking of going to an electric fan set up on my Jeep, but I know there is no free lunch, so where does the power to turn the electric fans come from, it has to be made by the engine right, so is there a horse power gain from going to electric fans? Could be but I don't know, anyone out there know for sure?

My Jeep is a work in progress, Happy Trails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 03:28 PM

Keep this in mind though

Not electric fan + water equal chewed up raditor. I learned the hard way.

Josh Lavalleur
'70 CJ5 4.3L V6
D27 & D44 axles
T-14 3-speed, D18 XC, Warn OD
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 03:36 PM

I think Quadratec wants 250 for a dual electric wrangler fan set up. If you don't run in deep water or mud (water up to the head lights that requires a snorkle most likely) it's a waste of money and get the clutch. If you are into the deep water than it's a good idea because then the water can't warp your fan blades, I think schyo15 got one for his YJ.
Barrelroll

97 TJ 30" ko's stock but not for long
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 03:40 PM
Way Outta Control

Yes, you do loose about 7 - 10 HP driving the average mechanical fan. I've even seen claims up to 25 hp.... but I think that's advertising hype. Installing an an electric fan will provide a slight HP gain until the fan kicks in to cool the engine. Then the alternator will have to procduce the power to drive the fan. At this time, there may even be a HP loss over a mechanical fan under the same circumstances. In totatl the electronic fan should save HP as it's not on as often as the mechanical fan produces drag. Of course this depends upon speed, etc. As has been said, there is no free lunch...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 03:44 PM
Veteran

Guys, do all fan blades eat radiators or some more than others? My fan seems to be really rigid and it's about 2" from the radiator. I can hardly bend it with my hands. Would water or mud still be able to bend them? They're not the flex-fan type as I was told.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 03:46 PM
Old Hand

You can go to the Junk yard and pick up a couple used ones alot cheaper than $200.
I put dual electric fans on my old 1980 Volare one pusher and one puller off of a couple Dodge colts and they worked great.
I'm considering doing the same to my 91YJ 2.5. I remember reading a long time ago in a advertisement that you could gain upto 25hp (on a V-8) changing from a flex fan to a clutch so I thought hey how much more could I get without one thats when I did the Volare the biggest problem I had was finding an electical switch that could handle the load.

Donnie

GOD,GUTS and GUNS
MADE AMERICA FREE
I VOTE TO KEEP ALL THREE!!!!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 03:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was a diehard for direct driven fans. I ran a huge evercool rv fan w/a shroud, it was 2" away from the rad. but, it managed to hit the core, during a bonzi run/broke motor mt. ...I made a 3" deep Pan shroud out of sheet alum. and put a hd Ford elec. fan ($35) in it...My temp went from 220 to 160, the engine revs faster, doesn't sound like a airplane and I gained alot of finger room under the hood.

I wouldn't bother with a clutched fan, they are a weak link, and not reguarded highly by the guys I know in the radiator business.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 04:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used a 16" advance auto fan on a 79 304 and it cooled fine. Even in the Myrtle Beach 100 degree stop and go traffic. I had to slightly trim the shroud to get the 16" fan to fit but it fit perfect then. The fan and adjustable thermostat was only 100 bucks and I could tell an immediate increase in how well the engine turns up without the original fan on it. A good flex fan might not show as much change though. I did it mainly for the ability to warm the engine better in the winter and that it did. I will be replacing the fan on the CJ I have now with an eletric some day soon.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode