77 CJ 7 cats or no cats? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

77 CJ 7 cats or no cats?

I took my newly acquired 77 to the local exhaust shop to get some new dual exhaust on my 360. It already has duals, but they refused to do the work because I didn't have catalytic converters. They were off course willing to sell me some, but when I tried to explain that 77's didn't have cats, he said they did. So I was wondering if anyone knows for sure. I live in Oregon, but I don't know where the jeep came from. At one point it was in vermont. Does location matter? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:32 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: 77 CJ 7 cats or no cats?

According to my '78 manual, only the Jeeps in CA had cats, the other 49 states didn't. I'll post the actual wording tonight and look to see if it's included in the VIN. Heck, maybe I'll just post the scan from the manual, so you can take it to them.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 02:25 PM
Addict

Nenofury hope this helps, I own a '77 CJ-5:

(from page 4A-16, 1977 Jeep Technical Service Manual)

All V-8 CJ models, all altitude CJ models, all California Jeep models Cherokee, Wagoneer and truck models have a catalytic converter. Leaded fuel poisons the catalytic converter, although use of a few gallons of leaded fuel in an emergency does not seriously impair the converter.
All CJ models and all California Cherokee, Wagoneer and truck models are fitted with a fuel filler neck restrictor (refer to Fuel-Carburetion section) which admits only the smaller nozzles used for unleaded fuel.
Most models use a single pellet-filled canister-type converter, California V-8 models use a monolythic-type converter.

(end of quote)

I have a catalytic converter, stock, on my CJ because it is a high altitude model. I would also suspect that if your 7 has a fuel filler neck restrictor, and has a factory V-8, that it should have a converter. E-mail me if I can be of help. Jeff

Why drive a luxo-box SUV when you can lay in the dirt busting your knuckles under old iron? '77 CJ-5, '64 S2A Land Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The most definitive answer will be under the hood. The emissions systems sticker on the the top of the grille/radiator support will either say Catalyst or Non-catalyst. Hopefully it's still there. My '75 factory service manual says that the V8 CJ's in '75 had cats but the I6's did not, so I would guess that a '77 V8 would have one factory. Of course your CJ didn't come with the 360 either, so who knows what rules they have to follow.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

nenofury-

JEEPN and I have been round and round on this one before. My info and experience has been different than his. Badvibrations is right about the cats being required per the factory service manual. (I have a 77 manual too.) Check the dash and under the hood of your Jeep. A sticker was affixed to one or both areas if the vehicle came with cats from the factory. (Although many of these stickers have disappeared over the years.) Perhaps the discrepancy between JEEPN and myself is that he is on the east coast and I am on the west.

I lived in Portland, OR in 1977 and cats were OEM on CJs during that year. I owned a CJ2A at that time that had a transplanted Chev 350, (with no cats) so I was up on the day to day issues. The requirement for cats was centered around the GVW of the vehicle. Jeep manage to escape the dreaded cats for the first year or so but by 1977 they had fallen to the requirement as they were classified as a 1/4 ton truck. Half ton trucks and above were still exempt and guys were ordering their new pickups with the highest GVW they could afford to beat the cats. Eventually not even that would save you as the rules continued to be tighten.

At first new Jeep owners were unaware of the potential fire hazard created by a hot cat and dry grass. I remember that this issue lead to some quite lively discussions among the "jeepers" that hung out at the old Willamette Wheel 4x4 store in Portland.

Good Luck!
Kriss

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 04:06 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I scanned the image from the 1978 Technical Service Manual, page 1K-1.

Perhaps the difference is Oregon is right next to Cali, so they would have a lot of cross vehicles. Maine is now like that, since MA adopted CA emissions, we have a devil of a time trying to find a non-CA equipped vehicle. It seems they can sell/exchange them between dealers and it's more fluid when all the vehicles meet the same requirements. I'm not doubting anybody, all I know is what the manual says, which is what I'm posting. I know my '81 didn't have one stock, but SCRAM's '82 does, and according to the '82 Manual, it's supposed to as well.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-376193-catconverterinfo1978.jpg (89.1 KB, 1 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

JEEPN-

I think I have found the difference in our views. Both the 77 and 78 manuals state that V8s required cats, the I6s did not. I guess we both win!

(The jeepers that I ran with in those days all had V8s. You know, MORE POWER.)

Kriss

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:33 PM

When i had to get my 78 street legal i took it to an old amc jeep mechanic who now owned his own shop. HE said that eventhough the sticker said catayist it didn't mean cat converter. Are there other types of catalytic devieces?

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 06:50 AM
Enthusiast

I've got a '77 too and went through almost the same thing.

Bottom line;
'77 w/v8 had cats stock everywhere
I believe the '76 w/304 also had cats
'77 w/I6 in CA had cat, everywhere else no cat
In NY if it had a cat stock, it has to have a
cat to pass...period

My jeep was orginaly a '77 non CA with a I6,
now has a chevy 327, after a couple of days of pleading
I convinced them since it didn't have a cat as orginal
equipment I didn't have to have one

Luke
'77 CJ7 SOA Chevy 327
http://home.off-road.com/~cj7jeep

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2001, 07:04 AM
Addict

I own a '77 CJ-5 with the 258 I-6, it was originally sold in New Merxico and it came from the factory with a cat because it is an "altitude" model. m715 I agree with you that all '77 V-8 models required cats but not all 6s were exempt just because they were not sold in Ca. If your I-6 was an "altitude " model (read high altitude) it required a cat from the factory. At least that's what I get from the '77 tech manual and from my CJ. I don't know if this makes anything clearer. Jeff

Why drive a luxo-box SUV when you can lay in the dirt busting your knuckles under old iron? '77 CJ-5, '64 S2A Land Rover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode