Onboard Air recommendations? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Onboard Air recommendations?

I got back from my first off-road trip with my newly aquired jeep (CJ7) and had a great time. Now I want to install a compressor so I can airup the 33"s on my jeep and my buddies' trucks. Being in Hawaii, junk yard parts are scarce, so I was leaning towards an electric compressor. What's the best one (considering cost vs. quality vs. performance). Or is the A/C compressor conversion really worth it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Onboard Air recommendations?

I haven't seen any negatives regarding the York conversion. Only good things. I suppose the higher dollar 12 volt units work pretty well though. Sometimes you can ask for brackets or other hard to find parts on this board with some success. I'd start by looking around the junk yards for donor vehicles, would need to be an AMC product, with the same basic engine and either v-belts or serpentine which ever your Jeep has. At the same time ask on this board for comparisons of the different 12 volt units. I'm certain there will be no shortage of opinions. I have the York and never been displeased - worth the effort to locate parts and pieces. My total cost was around $150, including junk yard parts, brackets, compressor, then a new clutch on the York, pressure regulator, pressure relief valve, air tank and all the plumbing and hose. John

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:37 PM
Old Hand

I have seen York compressors sell on ebay. Since junk yard parts are scarce, that may be your best bet. The belt driven compressors produce much more air than an electric. If you have a hard time finding the right bracket, you might consider making one. There are quite a few web sites showing what others have done. It's a cool project too.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry for slightly off topic... I've read a bunch of posts talking about the York compresor. I have AC on my CJ7, but haven't used it because the freon is low and I refuse to pay someone that much to charge the system. Besides, the doors and the roof come off right.

Anyhow, is the York compressor just converting the AC compressor into an on board air compressor? If so, any links with info would be great thanks.

BentMetal

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 01:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go to http://www.onboardair.com. Brad has a number of links to on-board air sites and he also sells just about everything you would need to build a York setup.

'75 CJ5,258 w/Howell EFI,T18a,4.27's,33's,On-board air,Warn 8274
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 02:22 PM

BM,
If you have AC, you have on board air. It doesn't have to be a York; yours is probably a rotary, right? Just have the system cut open and what freon that is left in the system reclaimed and you are ready, all you really need is a quick connect to hook up your air hose and a switch to send 12 volts to that clutch wire. Now you should plumb in a tank for storage, a pressure relief valve and wiring relay for safety and a pressure switch for convenience. Also may need an oiler on the intake and a separator on the output; lots of info on the web, check the links from snowtow.

zimm,
There is no comparison between electric and belt driven compressors. My york puts out more cfm than my shop compressor does (Home Depot cheapie). My buddies with their quick air II's don't even bother anymore after the run, they just line up behind the CJ. I can take a 33 12.50 tire from 10 psi to 26 psi in 25 seconds. It's an incrementalism arguement I guess; with belt driven you will never want for air, but with electric you will definately be wanting for more cfm. Yorks came in many vehicles, fords, volvos, AMC. As far as parts go, that's what BBS's are for, does UPS go to Hawaii? The brackets are what can be difficult to find. I happen to have a set I pulled off of an 81 eagle (v-belts, 258) for a fellow who ended up not taking them. I paid the yard $30; they are yours for that plus shipping if you want them. Special deal, only for guys with 82 CJ's [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img].

Max

82 CJ, some stuff stock, some stuff not
Have you hugged your Jeep today?
http://members.fortunecity.com/patrol14/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode