Twin Stick Questions ... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Twin Stick Questions ...

I've been running a Currie twin stick on my D300 for a while now and I got a few questions about using it ....

First off, should you leave the front in neutral when on the street or engage it and unlock the hubs ?? There must be some lubrication issues here ...

How often do you need and use frontWD Low only feature the twins offer ??

Is it easier on the whole to shift the twins one at a time to get into FWD than using the OEM - both at the same time shift assembly ?? Sometimes I have a really hard time getting the front out with the twin due to bind ... have to zig zag some to even get the outside lever (for the front) to move ...

If you had the choice between clocking your D300 up another notch and go back to the stock shifter OR less clock and keep the Currie ... which would you choose ??

Just looking at some options before the Go2Guys ring goes in ...
The twin linkage is going to limit the amount of clock somewhat and will definately need a lot of cutting, grinding and lever bending ...
TIA

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:37 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Twin Stick Questions ...

Yes, the front stays in neutral when in 2WD. No lubrication issues as that's it's normal position. You're just using 2 sticks now instead of one. I shift one at a time, I find it's smoother, but sometimes you have to get into a routine as to which one to shift first for a smooth shift. I also find having the transfer slightly loaded (under minimal power) help when shifting, and I don't dawdle, I shift firmly.

The front shifing is used fairly often in the tight trails here in Maine, not sure of your area.

Don't know about clocking, I have an NP205, not a D300.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Just looking at some options before the Go2Guys ring goes in ...
The twin linkage is going to limit the amount of clock somewhat and will definately need a lot of cutting, grinding and lever bending ...

<hr></blockquote>

John, would you mind taking a few measurments and maybe a pic of the indexing ring. I am looking at using one with my TF727 but am a little unsure of a few clearance issues. If I could really dial it in on paper the amount of upward rotation I am going to get from the ring it will help me decide if that is a valid option or not. I may just leave a bolt out and try bolting it up with only 5 bolts.

I am curious about the size of the ring overall....Thanks, Robert[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

"Yes, the front stays in neutral when in 2WD. No lubrication issues as that's it's normal position. "

JEEPN-
Actually this is not true.
With the OEM shifter both rods are either both in FWD, Neutral or both in forward (lever back) for 2WD.
The twin allows for one of the shift rods to remain in neutral postion instead of in tandem with the other.

And when I asked how many times you use it, I was refering to the front wheel drive in low and the rear in neutral feature ....
Obviously, this would be good when you wanted the front to 'pull' and turn but did not want 'push' from the rear wheels.... but how often do you really need to do that?

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 05:46 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Sorry about that, I read it quickly as I was on my way out the door. I just saw the "F" then the "WD" and assumed "4WD" and not front wheel drive, I skipped over the "ront" completely. That's what I get for skimming the post. As to the front only question, I know of only 2 cases where people have used it.

1) When the rear shaft has broken and you need to get home
2) When you have dual E-brakes on the rear and a locker. You slide the front into gear, rear out, snap a brake, and punch it around the corner. It's amazing how fast it'll turn. With the rear locker not powered, it allows you to lock one side, which causes it to ratchet around the corner. This obviously won't work with a spool.

<font color=blue>With the OEM shifter both rods are either both in FWD, Neutral or both in forward (lever back) for 2WD.
The twin allows for one of the shift rods to remain in neutral postion instead of in tandem with the other.</font color=blue>

I do not have a twin sticked D300, I have a twin sticked NP205, which I assumed was the same. On the 205, the left shifter reads lo-neutral-high for the rear axle and the right reads the same for the front. I assumed the D300 was the same way. What happens with the single lever is the linkage shifts each rod individually even though there is only one lever. In 2WD, the rear is in high range and the front is in neutral. If you shift it slowly, you can see the individual rods moving independently. If I am wrong and the D300 is not setup the same way as the NP205, someone let me know. But if they are setup the same way, then the front is in neutral and the rear is in high range. I don't see how it can be any other way, if the front were in high as well, it'd be in 4Hi, not 2Hi.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode