electrical problem in CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

electrical problem in CJ

Ok heres the situation...I replaced the wiring harness in my project CJ with a new one from centech. After much trial and error, mainly error I have everything working except for the fuel gauge. I was doing some testing last weekend and found that I have a good ground to the guage, as well as continuity from the sending unit to the gauge...so I figured that it had to be a bad gauge? Does this seem correct or not? One other thing, before I determined that the ground was good I disconnected the ground from the gauge and ran it straight to the battery ground. Upon doing this I blew a fuse and have no idea why???
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:48 AM

Re: electrical problem in CJ

Dan-
In the first place, the fuel gauge does not have a 'ground' terminal.
It grounds via the speedo housing. Probably you not only blew a fuse but also cooked your gauges ...
Read my article (twice), preform the resistance tests on both the fuel and temp gauges to see if they might still be good get back to me if you need help or suggetions ...

Click ... http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep/Gauges.htm

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info, I actually already read your page about the gauges...How could I have fried my gauges? I just assumed that if I hooked it directly to ground than it would be no different, I thought a ground was a ground and the way the voltage was regulated was through the power lead? Is this correct or not? Anyway, if I have ground at the gauge as well as the sending unit wire, shouldn't the gauge work unless its a bad gauge? I tried to short it out like your page indicates and I only got it to move to like 1/2 full once. I'm not sure if I was doing it right however, so I should probably do it again when I get a chance...Any other suggestions? I really don't want to get the SW gauges because they are $80 for the fuel and temp, and I am not even using the temp because I have a mechanical temp and oil gauge. What are the chances of getting a used gauge that works? Is burning up the gauge common?
Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 01:49 PM

Dan-
I was guessing you were mistaking a sender or Batt+ terminal for a ground terminal.
I still can't figger out how you shorted unless you ran the ground from the Batt- to the "I" (ignition on) terminal.
If you can still get the gauge to read by shorting the gauge's sender wire to ground, then the gauge may still be OK.
You must do the resistance tests to all the fuel gauge's posts to confirm the gauge is still good.
Let me know.
John

JAF
http://www.monsterslayer.com/jeep
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:33 AM
Old Hand

Do you have a good ground on your sending unit?

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode