302 Ford - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 06:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

302 Ford

Anyone running a 302 Ford in their CJ7? I would like to get information on the swap or direction to a website with that info. Thank you, Edward.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 07:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 302 Ford

I think it was in JP magazine within the last year. They did a write up on the swap and a company that specializes in 302 swaps. If I find I'll repost. Not much help but a start.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Z and M http://www.zandm.com specializes in 302 swaps. Advance adapters is coming out with a plate to adapt the 302 to chevy auto trannies in the near future. I'm doing the same swap also in the near future

Bakes
83 Scrambler
http://www5.ewebcity.com/4x4trails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 08:30 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Not really sure why anyone would seek out a 302 for a swap, but if you already have access to a good one, it could work. If it were me (well, if it were me, it'd be a Chevy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img], but let's assume I like Fords[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]), I'd be looking at 351's. They are a bit taller, but fit fine under the hood of a Jeep & with a 3.5" stroke (vs. the 3" 302 stroke), they make much better low-end power. Again, use the 302 if you have it, but think hard about that 351 if you're still looking for an engine. Just my $.02.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 11:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tex, do you like the 351 Windsor, or the 351M? I thought that the 302 was a bit smaller, physically speaking, and fitment would be better in the engine compartment, am I wrong??? Thx.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 12:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you would want to use the 351w. the M is a bit on the long side for a cj. my personal fave is the cleveland, but i would only use it in a mud, or other racing machine as they are built for high rpm usage. the windsor has smaller heads and built for more low end torque, and they are not muck larger than a 302, as well as share the same mounts and bell housing pattern (the cleveland shares the same mounts and bell pattern, but is a longer, heavier smallblock). the M series shares the big block bell pattern.

dan
<font color=blue>Good things come to those who do research!!</font color=blue>

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 10:26 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>Yeah, what he said[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]! You're right to think of the 302 as somewhat more compact, but I don't think that's an issue with a CJ like it would be with a Ranger or Toy pickup. I too really like the Cleveland as the "best of the bunch", but for the same reasons mentioned - me being a gearhead. Not so practical for a Jeep, unless mud is your forte. And even then, the Windsor does offer some interesting possibilities. You can safely stroke a stock 351w to in excess of 400" for a real torque monster. And from what I've been reading on the Pre '78 Bronco board (see "302 vs. 460"), apparently the injection from a 302 can be made to work well with much larger displacement Windsors. So, for a Jeep swap, the 351w seems the best route - but again, I would consider a 302 if I happened to have a good one laying around looking for a home. I just think that if you're going to take the time & effort to try to gain more power than a stock powerplant, that you should go "all out", so to speak, and get something that'll really set you back in the seat[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].</font color=purple>

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 11:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 351W has a stronger block and bottom end than the Cleveland. The Cleveland had some oiling problems, nothing major though.
IMO, 351W all the way.

I want to be a follower, but all the leaders seem to be lost.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i dont know about the cleveland having a weaker bottom end (especially the four bold main), they do need a little help with oiling, but that is cured by running a solid or roller cam and a couple of restrictors for the top end. if you want to see a real set of heads, take a look at them, ports as large as a big block, and valves (2.19int 1.71ex) to match. a chev 350 could only wish to have ports like a cleveland. this is why they are only good for making hp rather than low end.

dan
<font color=blue>Good things come to those who do research!!</font color=blue>

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2000, 11:41 AM
TEX

<font color=purple>I've been told that in stock form, the only heads that outflow Clevelands are Rec-port BB-Chevy. Even Ford's own big-block doesn't get heads as good as a Cleveland. We had a guy with a severely hopped up Cleveland in a 2,800 lb CJ2A running 42's that just dominated Super Stock in Missouri Mud Racing for several years.</font color=purple>

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode