OT Smoke Alrm save our lives last night! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OT Smoke Alrm save our lives last night!

My family and I were awakened at 1:30 am this morning by one of our smoke alarms. I immediately smelled smoked and jumped out of bed, I ran into the the living room and the smoke was very heavy. I ran downstairs, (my 10 year old has his bedroom downstairs), my wife right behind. The smoke was about 3'thick from the ceiling down. I did not see any flames but ran upstairs to call 911. I figured theres too much smoke in this house for me to handle...this looks serious! As I was on the phone with 911 operator, my wife runs upstairs with a handful of towels which were smoldering...she had set them on the hearth infront of our gas insert fireplace. Anyway, there is now doubt in my mind that if that smoke alarm would not have gone off, My wife, two daughters and son may not have seen this morning! Either dead of asphyxiation or without a home. If you dont have any, get one. If you got one, get more than one. AND KEEP the BATTERIES fresh.

Thank GOD I am able to still post and read the SWB BBS!!
Kraig

....and I didnt even think about getting the Jeep out of the garage[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:05 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: OT Smoke Alrm save our lives last night!

Man, thats got to be scary. I'm glad everything worked out alright. Bet you didn't sleep much the rest of the night though.

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Those things are priceless. Very glad you are all OK. Three years ago our CO alarm saved our lives, make sure you have those too. We knew it was real when we saw the hamster was dead!

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, we do have a CO alarm too. But you know it must have taken me two years to buy the thing...one night I woke about three years ago and thought what the hell is wrong with me I wont spend 50 bucks to buy a CO alarm which could save my families life but I wouldnt hesitate to spend a couple hundred bucks on the Jeep!!

Everyday travel is off-roading in this town....
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Man glad that you and your family are ok. My old lady has a bad habbit of taking the smoke alarm outside when she cooks then forget about it. I hate that. Well once again glad you are ok.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 10:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Glad to hear you are all OK! You made me check all of ours (we have 7 in our house) and the battery was dead in the one at the top of the stairs, it's a pain to get at so it doesen't get checked as often. I have neglected to buy a CO detector for the same reasons as above, it does sound kinda' dumb not to spend $50 to protect my families life. Guess I'll go get one tonight!
Thanks.

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, The body is on the frame now!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 04:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm very glad to see that both you and your family are alright because that is the most important thing.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 10:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Iam glad to here that you made it of there alright...There are countless people who have died from the smoke that you saw and walked through. Fortunatly you must either replace your smoke detectors batteries...or you have gotten luck on the old batteries...or they are the 'hard' wired kind...either way make this a point to your kids NOT to play with fire...since 1990 when I had join the Fire Department we have started a campaign to "Change Your Clocks...Change your Batteries!"...it has caught on in the area and people 'try' to do it. I have made the first due pumper(fire truck) to carry a old ammo box filled with all the common batteries for the replacement in homes when we go to them. Even if they just replaced them...we hand them to the people. If anyone has to think they can handle a fire in there residence(home)...make sure you have an escape route or a near by door...this is not the correct way to do this but ALWAYS call the local Fire Department for a follow up of the past fire...we train very heavily and we are taught to look for certain types of the fires signiture...the equiptment that is carried on the trucks are crucial for the response of your incident and some of the Fire Departments equiptment was paid by you the taxpayers...so please save yourselfs! The loss of the items in the fire are made by humans...you are not made by the items...and that is also why you pay insurance. The Fire Departments can get state and local aid for you if it is serious enough...fire is an uncontrolable entity in its own element...even through my gear I have recieved 2nd and 3rd degree burns...take care....

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

In the City of Virginia Beach Fire Department we have "Project Smoke Detector" where any citizen who doesn't have one, can call us, we will come and install a smoke detector free of charge to them in their residence. We now install 10 year maintance free detectors in any and all homes we go to. If anyone does not have one, or knows someone who needs one, try contacting your local department and see if they have a similar project/program.

Off the top of my head, I remember two fire fatalities where the home owner disabled the detector or had removed the battery and not replaced it.

I would rather come to your home during the day time and install a detector for you, vs. responding to your home at night.

Unofficially, I recommend CO detectors that use a digital display (I use a nighthawk, and believe it or not, so do all the fire stations in the city) they help prevent false alarms, and show you just what your problem level of CO is, incase your department does not carry CO monitoring equipment.

Stay safe.

CJ

Rusty beat-up old junker with many problems.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 10:52 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Wow, very scary. Glad everything worked out ok. I bet you didn't forget to thank the man upstairs and give you wife and two daughters big hugs! Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode