Found my 8.8!! Woohoo!! Now have ?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Found my 8.8!! Woohoo!! Now have ??

Hi all,

Found my 8.8 rear end!! -- 96 Explorer, 4.10 gears, non-locking diff, with rotors, $250. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I pick it up this coming Saturday.

Now, some questions. Can I put a lockrite in the 4.10 geared 8.8 without removing the carrier and ring gear? Does the cross shaft pass by the ring gear on this rear end? This will determine if I do it myself, or have the shop do it when they weld on the spring perches. Also, which is the best locker to get? Is a lockrite or an EZ locker ok in this axle for 33"s? From the outside it looks like a big and beefy axle compared to the small dana35 in my YJ. Funniest part was there was an old YJ rim tossed next to the axle rack the axle was in, and it slid right onto the studs. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] (I had my tape measure with my anyway, I just thought it was humorous.)

Also, unrelated, looking for some greasable boomerang shackles - what are the best ones, and best place to buy?

Thanks all!!

Pete - soon to be 8.8'd and locked in back!! Woohooo!!!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 07:43 AM

Re: Found my 8.8!! Woohoo!! Now have ??

I found one a few weeks ago in a '90 lincoln mark VII for $75, didn't have 4.10 gears though. Are you going to cut the axle down? Why are you deciding to go with it over the 9", because of the disc brakes? Just wondering. I too am wondering how easy the 8.8" is to work on and how much more $$ the lockers and axles run for it. The 9" seems to have cheaper accessories. good luck!
big ed

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Hi Ed,

Well, the 8.8 from an explorer has the same small bolt pattern as a YJ, 5 on 4.5, is close enough to the same width, within like 1/2" (so its length doesn't need to be modified at all), came with 4.10 gears (if you can find one - most seem to be 3.73) to match my front, and has disk brakes. My research has shown it's a great swap. I am choosing to go with it because of its availability in the configuration I need, the good things I've heard about it, and it's in a yard 3 miles from my house, so I don't have to pay to ship an axle. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lockrites seem to be in the same ballpark as other axles.

Can't really say I know much about the options for a 9" - I've seen a lot of talk about the 8.8, and that it was a good YJ swap candidate. Not sure what getting a 9" in a 5 on 4.5 would involve.

Thanks for the response,
Pete

70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I personally would go with a lock right over an ezlocker, only because I've seen 3 exploded ezlockers and no exploded lock rights on rigs with the same size tires running the same trails.

Chad

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:36 AM

In the end you will probably want to change out the lunch box lockers for a Detroit or ARB locker with its own carrier. The stock F8.8 carrier is the weak link in the axle, and is almost always where the axle fails when F150 owners use their 1/2 ton trucks to pull trailers and such that should be hauled by 1 ton trucks. With a Detroit you will get the much stronger new carrier and the potential failure is eliminated. You should also stitch weld the axle tubes to the housing to prevent them from slipping and rotating(personal experience).
It is a very good axle, mine has held up very well, through some brutal abuse.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys! H8, do you think that my 258 will break the carrier if I go with a lockrite, under moderate abuse and 33"s? I'd rather buy the detroit now, than risk the breakage that would likely take out the ring and pinion, resulting in more $ later. But I don't plan a v8 swap anytime soon either, so less $ is a good thing... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Really appreciate all of you guys' expereince and guidance! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Thanks a lot!
Pete

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:21 AM

Couldnt tell you for sure Pete.
In my case I went with a Detroit and Moser axles at the "get go", and I have had no problems. Everyone I personaly know using 8.8 axles are all running Detroits, with no problems pther than the twisting of the axle tubes in the housings. The only carrier breakage I have seen is on F150 trucks, being over burdened on the highway as tow vehicles, but I have seen or heard of at least a half dozen cases of this in the last year or so(with the factory limited slip, in all cases but 1). So I know it is a potentialy weak area,... how weak,.. I dont know for sure???
I can personaly attest to the reliability of the axle though, with a Detroit installed. It is a very strong axle once its weak points are addressed.

Jeff
89 YJ
"I hope someone got a picture of that"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode