Info on a 1954 Jeep M38A1 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Info on a 1954 Jeep M38A1

I know where a running, working, driveable, dependable '54 M38A1 sits for $800 w/ a rebuit tranny & engine. I know it is missing the snorkel and i see the spot in the hood and fender where it fits through. I think he said it is missing the waterproof distributor or something because he had to change it over to 12? or maybe not, i forget. Whee can i get a snorkel and if I can get the distributor or if it has it then it will be completely submersible? What all does the 140 HAVE to have to be submersible? I just want to buy it, put a 3" r 4" suspension lift and a 3" body lift and run 34x9x16 TSL's. Think this wil be a good combo? This Jeep has all metal seats in the front and I cannot remember if it even has a rear seat. How do these snorkels work? So if the engine is submersible and all when I hit water and it comes inside the jeep my electronics will not short out?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=blue>1980 Chevy Scottsdale - 396 - TH350 - NP205 - Dana 60/Corp 14 combo - 40" TSL's - 4 different colors - pics real soon </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 11:07 PM

Re: Info on a 1954 Jeep M38A1

There shouldn't be any computer to short out [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Man I sure would like to have one of these for 800..You could make your own snorkle..Im sure somebody somewhere sells them.Im pretty sure the electronics(what little there is) are already sealed off.You seem very intersted in taking this thing under water.Just remember...unless you have a hard top you are going to have water up to your neck..nasty muddy water

1976 CJ5
SWB BBS Member Page!(exclamation)
http://www.shortwheelbase.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

There is a fording kit for the M38A1. It includes the snorkle, extended exhaust pipe and plugs for the tranny/t-case vents. Everything else should be water tolerant. I had a M38A1 that a friend sank in a pond one spring (thin ice). When we towed it out, water had gotten past the seals in the front end (knuckles & center), tranny, t-case, and rear diff. Remember the seals are 40+ years old so drain everything after you have had them under water!

By the way, I saw a picture of a civilianized M38A1 driving in Sweden submerged up to the windshield during a trail ride in a mag a few years ago. I hoped he was wearing a wet suit!

Karl
80 CJ/YJ-7 FrankenJeep
94 Grand Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 01:07 PM

It doesn't take a whole lot to make a Jeep submersible. Once I'd gotten the computer out of the system and made a snorkel, all the rest took was some vacuum hoses to raise the vents and silicon adhesive to seal the distributor and wires. Some of my clothes to have a muddy-water-line across the chest though...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Will a CJ lift kit fit my '54 M38A1? I think the year range is 53-75 Model CJ 4" lift kit? Oh and about back seats, did they come with one? I have all metal front seats.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] <font color=blue>1980 Chevy Scottsdale - 396 - TH350 - NP205 - Dana 60/Corp 14 combo - 40" TSL's - 4 different colors - pics real soon </font color=blue> [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode