!!!!!ThiS IS FoR All Of YoU PeoPlE WhO ThiNk YoU cAn'T hAvE a GOod 4X4 FoR UnDeR $$$4000$$$!!!!!!!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

!!!!!ThiS IS FoR All Of YoU PeoPlE WhO ThiNk YoU cAn\'T hAvE a GOod 4X4 FoR UnDeR $$$4000$$$!!!!!!!!!

This is for all you people who think you have to empty your bank account to have a good 4x4.

I was just looking over my old issues of 4wheel&off road when I saw the march 96 issue with a nice looking 62 chevy on the cover driving through thick goo.
When I looked inside the magazine I was shocked.
The 62 chevy with a propane 454, 39.5 inch super swampers, 4 inch lift and winch only cost $$3200$$ canadian to build!!!(thats about $$2250$$ american!!!!)
It had no rust, no dents and a nice paint job.
It was the nicest looking 4x4 i had ever seen!
It didn t have any useless chrome or show graphics it was a true 4x4
And the best part was that it was only $$2250$$ american to build
(3200 canadian!!!)
Did i mention it was on the cover of 4wheel&off road???
Sorry i don t have a pic but i am sure lots of people know what i am talking about.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:10 PM

Re: !!!!!ThiS IS FoR All Of YoU PeoPlE WhO ThiNk YoU cAn\'T hAvE a GOod 4X4 FoR UnDeR $$$4000$$$!!!!!!!!!

Interesting, ThANKs FoR ThE TRiVia

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:13 PM

Re: !!!!!ThiS IS FoR All Of YoU PeoPlE WhO ThiNk YoU cAn\'T hAvE a GOod 4X4 FoR UnDeR $$$4000$$$!!!!!!!!!

Lets see ???
4- 39.5" swampers and wheels $1000 (at least)
4" lift with new shocks $400 (at least)
8000 lb winch and fairlead $800
Theres $2200.00 right out of the chute,That leaves about $1000 to find a non rusted reliable rig,(good luck). Did you want lockers ?? You really should have at least one in the rear. How about a gear change ??,Engine mods,air compressor, and so on. Its not the chrome that costs money, and you could easily buy the most custom paint job you could ever want, for less than the cost of a Dana 60 front axle swap. Its the quality components that run up the tab. I dont care what it looks like, but you need good parts to get where you want to go and then back home again.Later,
89 Wrangler/with Rock Crawling Package($$$$$)(and I only had to pay $2400 for the rig alone).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How can you type like that? It must take a while!!

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well h8monday, i ll give you more info
i am not sure how much the tires and weels cost but i know most of the rest.
the 62 was bought for 200 $ cnd
a suburban frame for 200$ cnd shortend 3 feet
has suburbain diffs with no lockers
The winch is so old that it was probably under 200 $ cnd
The lift is 4 inch rear blocks and 5 ton leaf segments in front for 4 inches of lift (probably under 200$ cnd)
The used propane 454 was $800
lets add it all up
-----
1600$ canadian

there still is 1600$ dollars left for the tires and extras to bring the truck up to 3200 $$ canadaian
And its a daily driver and weekend bogger

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can see it. If you do your bargain shopping, do all your own work, and pick up used parts on a Taco Bell budget.
Now, if somebody writes a story about this in a couple of magazines it could be the next big craze [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
That's how RTI and extreme flex got started.
That's why everyone started looking for spools.
That's why the CJ-8 became popular.
That's why.......

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 04:32 PM
Keyboard Implanted

lets.. shopping at 4wheel drive hardware.. or the boneyard.. give me 3 grand.. and several junkyards.. and i will give you one hellava 4x4.. you want lockers.. i got a welder.. we'll take care of that.. air compressor.. sure i can find one for 20 bucks.. tires.. ok give you that.. might want some new ones.. if you insist on spending more.. i will even do that work.. and you can pay me.. lets see i will cut you an awesome deal.. half price.. 25 bucks an hour.. so lets see it.. throw that cash my way.. i will hook you up!!!!

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 05:05 PM

I am not against shopping for a good deal,(although my M.O.seems to be "buy high sell Low").But like I stated "to go where you WANT to go",(not where you can go),and remain reliable,you need good parts. If that rig is using a corporate 10 axle,it needs immediate help.I dont believe in waiting for parts to break before replacing them. Although from the condition of too many of the rigs that Ive helped out in the past,I reallize that its not everyones philosophy.Im sure that if you started opening up the diffs,T case,etc that they would need rebuildin(more $$$). I have found that its usually the same guy with cheap parts ,and overdue maintenance,also didnt spend any money for tools,safety and recovery gear,spare parts,communications,fire extinguisher,etc.,..but they usually still mannage to get futher out in the middle of nowhere, than they should be. Its the "And back home again" that takes the extra time, planning and effort,and "Oh yeah" money.But everyone has thier own philosophy. Now, "lets go break something".
Jeff
89 Wrangler(Maybe Gore could help me with Donations $$$)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey jeepgod
thats 3 grand canadian (bout 2000 american)

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 08:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is there a good 4X4 that's not a jeep? Canadian dollars aaaaaaaaa?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode