jamboree's - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

jamboree\'s

i was just sittin around today and watchin a video from my jeep jamboree in 1999 and was wonderin how many of you guys ever went to one i loved it and my wife wants to do another in 2002

jeep the first 4 wheel drive the only 4 wheel drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:27 AM
Veteran

Re: jamboree\'s

I've been to a few, it's a lot to pay for what you get, but its nice to get out & meet new people, it's usually a pretty relaxed atmosphere. Belonging to a club is the cheapest way to go on a group run though.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went to Camp Jeep the last year that they held it in Colorado. I enjoyed the tech sessions; very informative, but the trail trips were lame. They were set up to allow weekend warriors who exchanged their golf carts for Grand Cherokees to run fire roads while in four-wheel drive without scratching the paint. The only interesting trail was Holy Cross.

I hope the other events are more than a picnic outing with the in-laws.

Hewgag

The wise eagle keeps his talons hidden!

Visit my 2000TJ "Hewgag" in BackCountry Trailers' Back Country Rigs section at http://www.backcountrytrailers.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was trail guide for a jeep jamboree here in Nova Scotia last year. I opted out of trail guiding this year, mostly because it represents too much time away from my family to run trails that I am basically sleeping through (not because I'm walker evans or anything, it's just that I've built my rig beyond these trails).

I think these things are great for the weekend warrior type who does not off road that often. But for anyone experienced the trails are rather lame, as the other poster suggested. There is still a lot of value in the comaradarie you feel with fellow jeep owners, etc etc, and a lot of experienced drivers like taking the whole family to these 'tame' affairs rather than the more intense trails they usually frequent (no sense freaking the wife out over nothing, know what I mean?).

if you go looking for good trails, though, you might feel a little ripped off.

I was trail guiding what was supposedly the toughest trail (there was one that was rated higher, but it wasn't a 'trail' per sey, it was more a winching test), and I was to make sure only those with the 'right' equipment came along, and to communicate what a difficult trail it was, how challenging they would find it etc etc. it was kinda hard to keep a straight face because the guys I normally run with would do this trail in 2hi but for 2 or 3 sections.

One guy, who was a salesman and had gone to jamborees and was driving a TJ right off the lot, hussled his wife away from the lower rated trails directly to the end of the line where the hardest trails were, over her protests. I overheard her saying "but isn't that too hard?', and him telling her "I've done this before, trust me we need to go right to the end". The next day he was on my supposedly 'tough' trail and did the whole thing in a stock (down to the wrangler tires!) TJ with nary a scratch (although he did slice one tire) ......

I have to admit though that MOST of the participants were not all that experienced, and for every experienced guy I had telling me that was too easy I had three newbies telling me it was the toughest trail they had ever SEEN let alone contemplated doing - so for them it WAS a real challenge.

Short story is it all depends on what you're looking for in the first place.

Chad

Chad Lloyd 95 YJ 4.0 NP435 EBD20 woodies D44s 4.88 detroits SOA revolvers 35 X 15.5 SXs 8274
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 05:23 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Personally, I really enjoy Jeep Jamborees. I know that a lot of folks here don't care much for them for whatever reason, so be it.

I've been on quite a few all over New England. The Maine trip, Mohawk Trial in Western Mass., Adirondacks up in New York State, and this year the Poconos in Penn. for the first time this coming June. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sure, the trip is $200-something, and that doesn't include your lodging. But, you get some really good all-you-can-eat breakfast and dinner for 2 days, plus a lunch for the trail each day, plus another all-you-can-eat breakfast before heading home on Sunday morning. That's 7 meals. We're talking shaved Prime Rib, dessert, the whole deal, and Lobster up in Maine. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So, let's say you'd have to pay $15 a meal to get that at a restaurant, that's over $100 already.

You are assured that you won't get caught tresspassing, and the land you're on - it's OK to be there.

There's nothing like being around 130+ Jeeps getting ready to hit the trails. show me a small-town group that has that going for it. And, each night in the local watering hole, everyone gets around the big screen TV for a few beers and some videos of the day's events.

Yeah, it can get a little slow if you've got some stockers on your trail, but I really enjoy seeing people come out for the first time, and showing them how to drive off-road. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] We all were a first-timer at one time, and the organization of a Jamboree really helped me get into wheeling, and learn about Jeeping.

Now, going on 5 years since my first Jamboree, I will help out as a tailgunner for a trail if one of the trail guides has to help limp a broken Jeep back to town, etc. It's a lot of fun, and the people are really top-notch, in my opinion.

For those of you who think the trails are too tame, what do you base that on? I've watched serious breakage, Jamboree rollovers, and almost gone over myself. There is always adequately challenging stuff even for the hardcore, at least here in the Northeast. Maybe some of the other locations don't have the challenging terrain of the Northeast, I can't comment on that.

At the end of each weekend, they give away a Ramsey winch (that's how I got mine!) ARB air compressor, set of tires, hilift jack, sunglasses, etc., etc. So, you could walk away with a winch!

So, to each his own, I enjoy the trips, and that's based on probably 10 of them, not 1.

Don't mean to hype them up, but let's base the discussion on something more than "the trails are lame, and it costs a lot".

Pete - not affiliated in any way with JJUSA.

88 YJ - trails/beach trips only![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
79 4WD F250-hauler/tower of my toys
70 Jaguar E-type - the best car England ever made. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
90 Honda CRX - Daily pavement-pounder. 42 MPG. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 06:09 PM
I Do This For The Glory

While the Jamborees used be something up here, they aren't anymore. Mark Smith has gone in with D/C and is catering to the stock jeepers. A friend went on one a year ago and said he could drive the whole thing backwards in 2wd while blindfolded (his words). Needless to say, there isn't a huge call anymore for 36" Swampers with ARB's and healthy FI 360. For the newbys, it's a great time and a great introduction to wheeling, especially the 101 course. To the veteran's, it's a little too easy, but then it's not catered to us anymore. Kinda pricey in my book, but you get out of it what you want. It's one of the reasons our club started the May Mud Madness up in Maine (same geographical location as the jamboree, but not the same trails), it's for BUILT jeeps only, and there will be carnage. Last year there were broken D60's laying about. All the food is included (no lodging, but lots of lobster), and it's $100 instead of $285. I'd ask about the clubs in your area, they're worth getting involved, you can learn a lot from them. If you've never been to a Jamboree, give it a try, they are a lot of fun, but you do get out of it what you put into it.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 07:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The Jamboree has been coming to Drummond for 8yrs now. They run most of the same trails the locals and various clubs that hold their gathering on the Island do. Some chunks of the trail are easy, while other sections will certainly give you your money's worth. I've never gone on a Jamboree run persay...But my business has handled their trail lunch for eveyone of them.

In all that time, I have never talked to anyone who's had a bad time or felt they were getting ripped off. I think its like others have said,,,,Its being around 150+ people that have come together for one thing,,,,to go wheelin with their Jeeps and have a good time.

DrummondCJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode