Commercial Shrip Boats use Interlex paint... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Commercial Shrip Boats use Interlex paint...

I was in Charleston, SC last week so i went down to the warf to see what was going on with the boats. I got to talking to a couple old sea hands so i asked them what kind of paint they use on their boats. All of them said Interlex (sp)? Its kinda an expoxy looking thingy, and comes in smooth and non-slip. The non-slip was pretty close to durabak but more "sandy" and less "rubery". They paint the boats every 5-7 years. This stuff is tuff! 5 years is the same as 42,720 salt spray hours!!! What do you guys think? Too good to be true? Or the miracle paint?

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:51 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Commercial Shrip Boats use Interlex paint...

Tim, should have called me this weekend I needed help takin' out my clutch. Yes, interlux paint is pretty good stuff. It was made for fiberglass and wood applications. I am not sure the paint is ok for metal or not. All they do is add a little sand to the paint to give that non-skid finish. I think there is better paint for metal called "Sterling". It was developed from people who left the "Awl-grip" place. (US Paint).
Anyway sounds like you were eating at a Shem Creek fried food place. I could have fried up some shoe leather and saved you some money while you were helpin' me wrench on the jeep... too bad, maybe next time. Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Scout D 300,Pro-Jection,Dana 60's,Detroits,38" Hawgs, 4" BDS SOA,
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

bummer... I thought i was going to be a hero! You are certaint it is for glass and wood? Sounded to me like it was for metal. Maybe i was asking the wrong questions though. Those guys were kinda hard to understand...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 06:32 PM

The old owner of my jeep painted it with interlex boat paint and it works real good. I've had it 4 years and only now does the paint start to look like crap. and I did put that jeep thru some nasty trails. Oh yea, it also holds putty on the body real good...godd enough to have everyone ask me if it was a fiberglass body.anyways good luck.

Ben

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 07:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You can use the paint on steel, you just have to get the right primer system for it. The paint is good but keep a few things in mind; its flexable which is good but it will start to spider wed after 3-5 years, it is almost impossible to fix(can't buff it), it exspencive to. Don't get me wrong the stuff is strong, hard to scratch, and very weather proof. I use it a lot in the marine industry, can't beat it, but then again we aren't driving our boat through the trees.

Keep Jeep-n

Madd Mudder

75 CJ-5, 304, locked Dana 44, 33X12.5 BFG's, Wheeling Alaska

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

when it spider webs does it peel up or is it the pigment only that spider webs? Is the webing caused by the sun or by the salt? Since you have had experience with it would you use it to paint a jeep? BTW what type of primer system do you need to use? Thanks- Tim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode