Clutch problem (long explanation) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 08:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Clutch problem (long explanation)

Ok heres the story: My Jeep needed a clutch and I wanted to get it done before Jeep Safari. It's a T-18 mated with a conversion bell housing to adapt it to a Chevy 350. So I got it all torn down and had to order the clutch disc from 4wd Hardware. I ordered the 11"x1 1/16" disc. Since it was $100 I didn't order the $150 pressure plate (yeah I know I took it in the shorts). The flywheel looked clean and smooth so I left it. When i was putting it back together I noticed that the throwout (release) bearing arm had a problem. Inside the bellhousing is a mushroom top type thing that rides inside a bowl shaped divot in the arm and this is where the arm pivots. To hold this arm onto the mushroom thing there are two metal tangs that keep it from moving around, but allow it to pivot. My problem is that the lower tang is broke off. Since I couldn't find the stupid arm I just put it back in (I figured it had been that way for awhile anyway). Well I got it all back together and adjusted the pedal freeplay to 1". My problem is that when you push the clutch in all the way it sounds like something is rubbing. The rubbing is directly related to engine speed and it seems to get faster when you put it in gear (w/ the clutch still depressed). The clutch works great, but the sound bothers me. Here's what I think: When you push on the arm it moves up on that mushroom so I think that that the movement allows the throwout bearing arm to touch the pressure plate. It only makes the sound when the clutch pedal is pushed all the way to the floor. If you bring it up a quarter inch the sound goes away. I don't really expect you guys to have the answer because this is one of those "had to be there to hear it kind of things". But I thought that one of you might have had the same problems. Does anyone know where I can get that clutch arm? Would it be a Jeep or Chevy clutch arm? I assume it would be Jeep. My bellhousing doesn't have a cheater plate. If theres something wrong inside it has to all come back out. I think I will start to pull it again tomarrow. Thanks for listening anyway.

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:35 PM

Re: Clutch problem (long explanation)

I think what you need to find out is who the bellhousing manufacturer is and if it is a jeep clutch arm.The Jeep set up has a large steel ball that sits in the divit on the bellhousing and the clutch arm rides on that and is held in place with a spring going from the arm to the BH.,there are no tangs holding it on.Are you sure the pivot ball didn't fall out and the clutch arm wear down the place the ball is suppose to sit in .How did your old clutch plate look ? was it worn enough to have to be replaced ? perhaps it was mechanical failure making you think it was the clutch ?
The throw out bearing clips on the clutch arm with spring clips attached right to the throw out bearing,and it rides on the bearing retainer.
There is no 1" pedal free play at the pedal that I am aware of,the rod should (I am assuming you have the mechanical linkage ) should be in contact with the clutch arm,except that you say your clutch is working I thought that may be your problem.
Also the T-18 stock set up has a stud that presses into the bellhousing from inside right behind the clutch arm and the arm should have a depression in it to clear this bolt
Are you sure your pressure plate is centered ,the stock set up has shouldered bolts that hold it to the flywheel pretty much on center,If the installer used regular bolts it may be off center,you did tighten it down evenly to prevent warping the housing ....right ? One of these bolts is missing on mine and I couldnt find one locally at trans.shops or auto stores so I had to use a regular bolt but that is just one out of six.
Since you are running a chevy engine with a aftermarket bellhousing we can't be dead on with our guestimates,cause anything is possible.
Best of luck ,
I just swapped in a NP435 and it is leaking from somewhere just driving me nuts cause I can't find out where either the fill/drain plug or the bolt between the adapter and the trans right between the D300 "its always something"

Ray
Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
why does everyone ask if I am gonna paint it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode