death wobble(steering) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

death wobble(steering)

i took my worthless POS out today after addressing yesterdays "issues" and i have discovered that anytime i let off the gas at all, i get a major death wobble in the front end.. enough to violently shake the jeep and throw the tires back and forth. my toe was set outward too far, so i cranked it in( a little too far) and now its worse...my caster is good. could it be the toe?? any other ideas?

~~Elusive~~
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1553931
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 08:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: death wobble(steering)

I don't know what mods you have on your Jeep, but have you checked your axle shims, u-bolts, and leaf springs (center pins, bushings, and clamps). I would also give your engine and transmission mounts a one over. Unless your toe was way out I don't think it would cause a wobble. I don't think that it is an alignment problem.

Dont sweat the petty stuff and dont pet the sweaty stuff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 08:48 PM
Can't Get Enough

Death wobble is usually caused by too much scrub. It may be exemplified by loose parts and tire balance. The amount of scrub is determined by the offset of your wheels. Looking from the front, draw a line through both of your ball joints and see where it contacts the ground. Now measure from the center of your tire, to that line. This distance is called scrub. This should not be any more than about 1 inch. Changing your offset, or even the width of your wheels, may bring your scrub back into specs. If you re-balance your wheels, change or add a steering stabilizer, replace your ball joints and tie rod ends, and tighten up your wheel bearings, you may cover it up. But the correct way to eliminate it is to correct your backspacing or offset and correct your scrub radius.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 08:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ball joints have done it to me before.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:16 PM

good explination dorfs,
hey elusive, does it happen with your hummer wheels/tires also?

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've also had it when a tire has 30 lbs. of mud in it.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

lets see.. good stuff, thanks..but....
i had this with my hummer rims, and now with my new beadlocks.. and i used different tires also.. they came balanced, and the other tires were balanced.... this is a dana 60 front axle, there are no ball joints.i have king pins.. all my tie rod ends are new as of today.
as for the srcub... well.. there is just no way there is going to be 1" there. it's not ever close to 1" with anything i have..my ford is about 6" with stock rims...

~~Elusive~~
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1553931
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:40 AM
Can't Get Enough

Chris, what air pressure are you running? I get a little wobble with lower air pressure. When I had my steering stabilizer off the tires would start to wobble around 35 mph then smooth out at 45. With the stabilizer on I can see the tires wobbling, but no effect at the steering wheel. I have since added hydraulic assist and do not feel the wobble, but still see the tires slightly wobbling. I know I do have a couple of bent rims.
Did you re-balance your tires/rims? I would also check the rims only for being straight. I know they are new, but ???? One last thought, Swap front to rear and see if they also do the shake. Good luck, Ricky...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Scout D 300,Pro-Jection,Dana 60's,Detroits,38" Hawgs, 4" BDS SOA,
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 10:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Elusive - I've been there, and I really think it's too much offset as well. I have a set of rimes that has great offset for my narrow track axles, but I always get the "death wobble" with them. My other rims need more, but no wobble...

However, if you git it with the Hummer rims (an I thought I read that they had like alot of NEGATIVE offset, then I don't know what to tell you. I do think these guys are onto something with the "scrub" thing though - I just know I have 2 sets of wheels and tires, one does it and one doesn't...

How's your camber? I had real bad camber one Summer and that may have contributed because as I recall, That's the Summer I had these problems too...

Chuck Hadley
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

All good advise! I would definatly check those u-bolts though.AS for the ram assist, like they say> It's the absolute best stabilizer you'll ever get!! Plus it'll turn that damn 60 with 38's like it isnt there!!! Dont work for [censored] when the pump craps out though!!! BELIEVE ME !!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode