Need help with brake problem (kinda long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 07:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Need help with brake problem (kinda long)

okay, the brakes on my 73 wagoneer (i know is this SWB but need as much help as possible) are messing up. they start out really soft, but after a couple mins of driving they start firming up, till they get to the point where the pedal is really firm and the brakes are constanly on, not real hard but you can still feel the drag. the booster and master cylinder are both less than 2 years old. they worked fine for a long time until i was doing some suspension work and dissconnected the front lines, i reconnected them and bleed the lines. also i played with the motor and got it running much better (the 3 months before this it ran horrible). so after i put it all back together it starts doing this. i have had people say check the master but i don't think it is it cause once the brakes lock on all i have to do it unbolt the master and slide it like 1/4" off the booster then put it back on and the brakes are back to super soft, but then firm up agian. i have disconnected the vacuum line to the booster so i have manual brakes but it still does this. when they drag i can sometimes hit the pedal really hard and fast and they will release some. it manely happens when i stop, i can roll up to a stop in nuetral, brake then after i stop release the pedal and they brake suddenly apply pressure. so anyone have any ideas on what it could be, i am thinking something with the booster (maybe when i got the motor going better the surge in vacuum pressure ruinded something). i really don't want to go buy another one cause i got this one a couple years ago and don't want to spend the money for another one. thanks any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 07:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Need help with brake problem (kinda long)

sounds like a master cylinder.. dont fret.. they are under 30 bucks..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ya i know the masters are cheap, but why could sliding the master less than an inch of the booster fix the problem if it was in the master?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:53 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Because the cylinder in the master itself is locking up, and not returning by itself. When you loosen it and move it out 1/4 of an inch, you're manually pulling the piston back. Sounds like the cylinder needs to be honed.

I was also going to suggest the rear adjusting mechanism, which sounded like it wasn't releasing and needed to be lubed.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 06:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

anybody else have an opinion, right now it is looking like the master

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode