your opinion on unimogs? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

your opinion on unimogs?

hi there,

a quick Q:

has anybody ever wheeled with unimogs? how did they do...?

any opinions? ... i am looking into buying one in the future

thanks for sharing
alfred

'95 Stofttop, K&N, Snorkel, 4,5" SPOA, 31" BFG MT, 4,16gears, W5000 winch, skidplate, rear Rancho 9000 - other than that its bone-stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 05:41 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: your opinion on unimogs?

I have wheeled with a few, 63" wheelbase ones. They had locking diffs, diesels, and tractory style treads for tires. They sucked. The suspension was too stiff and had no flex, the motor had little power, and the tires didn't flex at all. It was just a bouncemonster. It did have about 1,000:1 gearing, but it doesn't do a lot of good in the mud. I know a guy up here in Maine that has a few. Parts are also hard to come by. I haven't see any of the larger ones though.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 05:54 PM
Can't Get Enough

I went up to Wheeler Lake with one. I was very inpressed. It had tons of ground clearance, good gearing, and made it over the top with little difficulty. This one was a '65, that was brought over from Switzerland. The owner said the small 6 was underpowered, and it didn't do too good in the mud. Overall. it thought it was cool!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ask anyone who was at this years Chile Challenge in Las Cruces about wheelin' with a MOG......If you can stand to maintain one, It will GET IT AWN![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Common sense is genius dressed in working clothes.
http://www.austinjeeper.com

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 07:54 AM
Old Hand

Here is a place to check them out
unimog

Donnie

GOD,GUTS and GUNS
MADE AMERICA FREE
I VOTE TO KEEP ALL THREE!!!!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:58 AM
jeepfiend

A Unimog is the ultimate total Utilitarian vehicle. You can do everything from rockcrawling to plowing the back 40. They aren't cush, and they don't have any amenities, at least not the old ones. But they are tough and functional. Sure they won't flex like a well built trail vehicle, but man are they tough. I plan on getting one, as soon as I get a little acreage. I think it would be the ultimate groundskeeping machine. Instead of a tractor and a pickup, I would just have a Unimog. Hydraulics, PTO, front and rear three points and the whole nine yards. If you are looking for a cool and unique four wheel drive, the Unimog is it. Don't get me wrong, I still LOVE Jeeps, but they just aren't quite as robust as the Unimog. I think this new one that Daimler is going to import is going to be quite laughable. People think the Ford Excursion is big.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 08:59 AM
Can't Get Enough

I just got back from Terlingua from the Superlift event there and there was one that was going to run the Stairway to Heaven trail ( I think it was the club from Houston that has the mogs and Hummers). Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch because we were in my wifes stock F-150 4X4 and couldn't get to the area [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img], I was hoping to at least talk to them later and see how thing went but didn't see them again. And as for my wife truck, I was very pleased with the performance from it. We ran some trails that had some pretty difficult terrain for a stock long wheelbase vehicle but it cruised right on up the steep loose rock inclines, and down the steep drop offs, and went everywhere the Jeeps went except one gully that I didn't try because it was too long to get through (keep in mind, the trail at its toughest point was probably only a 3). However I was really impressed with the stock limited slips and 3:54 gears, they worked like a champ. Sorry to ramble, I'll shut up now [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].

82 Scrambler/360/T5/D300/4" SUA/AMC20/Rear Discs/Somers Bros Axles/D30/3:73's/Lockrite Lockers.
Smithville, Texas
Member TX4X4 Cyber Club
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:39 AM
Keyboard Implanted

well i havent seen one.. but i think they SUCK!!!
Too damn big..
Too damn heavy..
Too damn expensive...
Too damn ugly...
Too damn stiff.. (like a hummer)..

now they do have great gearing.. and are ugly.. (yes i know i listed that twice... )

like one of the above posts states.. would be a great all-purpase vehicle.. but i wouldnt get one to be cool.. or to wheel.. i would have to have for a serious work vehicle..

and there aint one of them that will do what my jeep can do.. except for maybe in the towing field..
oh well.. ill get off the soap box..

http://www.jeepgod.net

84 CJ-7 401/T-18/D20/D44/D60w/4.10&Detriots/YJ frame & tub/35x16x15 Boggers
<font color=orange>survival is instinct, but living takes guts</font color=orange>
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

for all those who dont know which vehicle i am talking about...

here is a pic ;o)

thx
alfred

'95 Stofttop, K&N, Snorkel, 4,5" SPOA, 31" BFG MT, 4,16gears, W5000 winch, skidplate, rear Rancho 9000 - other than that its bone-stock
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-375925-uni2.jpg (82.1 KB, 1 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

ok, here are some more pics i made today...

boy, the rear driveshaft is has the diameter of my upper leg ;o)

does look pretty mint, doesnt it... just has 40k miles on the watch (US$ 7.000,-)

any opinions?

thx again for helping me out!

alfred

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode