Is the Steel Horese sound bar decent or is it junk - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Is the Steel Horese sound bar decent or is it junk

I know Steel Horse has the worst reputation in the industry, but is their soundbar decent? I am looking for a soundbar with dome lights and see a lot of advertisements for theirs. Anyone have one that can offer an opinion on it? Also, anyone have a stock sound bar they'd want to sell? Please email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Donny

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Weber to install when it gets a bit warmer
1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 04:31 PM
sas87yj

Re: Is the Steel Horese sound bar decent or is it junk

i have one that was in it when i bought and i like it. yeah steel horse sells some real junk! the speakers seem ok on the freeway doing 65 with windows out. dome lights work ok. someone had it mounted on the underside of the roll-bar and you could hit your head on it. i spun the brackets around and mounted on top of bars[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Good Design.. ****ty speakers

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 11:43 PM
Old Hand

Now, come on. You start by saying you know they have a bad rep, but....

Their bad rep is because they make the cheapest products possible. Don't be lured into buying their crap. It's like buying a cheap tool. You WILL have to replace it with something worthwhile.

Better yet, make your own. I'm sure you could figure out a design that would be bullet-proof for 1/2 the money. If you're making your own you could add all sorts of cool things that are custom to your liking. Even if you made it out of cardboard my money would be on yours outlasting theirs.

-raymo
Scrambler
258 4.0 Head/MPI,NV4500,D300,4.10's,HS9500
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

1987 YJ 258 I6, 5 Speed, TFI Upgrade, MSD 6A, TFX Exhaust, Smitty Sure Steps, Weber to install when it gets a bit warmer
1999 Cherokee Sport, Stock
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2001, 03:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm gonna back Raymo on this. It's just a sound bar...not rocket science. I've got a generic one that was in my jeep when I bought it. Just replaced the shyt speakers last night with some rockford fosgates ($22 on Ubid)..while installing them I realized that I could design a better sound bar and even make it myself. So that's on the list for next month. Gonna strip the covering off the old one and use it as basis and reuse the covering.

&lt;bold&gt;I love my country, but fear my government. I love my Jeep, but fear my addiction!&lt;/bold&gt;
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 09:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a stock Jeep soundbar with Boston Accoustic 5" Waterproof Speakers. It sounds good, but I'm ready to sell. $200 for the sound bar and speakers.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2001, 10:28 PM
Veteran

You can make a sound bar to fit in the back behind the seat to fit 6x9's or woofers and even the rollcage boxes work well with a good speaker.

Jeeps are Built not Bought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode