4x4 Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

4x4 Help

I've been going crazy. I stored my CJ-7 in the back of my house for the winter. The snow has been melting and is only about a half a foot deep now. I wanted to get it out and start driving it again. I couldn't get it out. I asked my wife to look at the wheels and let me know which ones were spinning. She said nothing in the front was spinning. The damn thing is like a two wheel drive car. I tried it in 4 hi and 4 lo with the hubs locked (two year old locking hubs). Do you guys know what I need to fix? How do I know if it's broken?
Ask always thanks for any advise.

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 02:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 4x4 Help

Is the front driveshaft spinning. If it isnt it is from the tcase up. If it is spinning it is from the diff out. Check to make sure that it is shifting into fwd at the tcase. Maybe something rotted away while it was sitting.

80 cj7, 304, auto, 33" tsl swampers, 4" softride superlift, warn bellvue winch, custom front winch bumper
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 02:50 PM

I agree with the driveshaft thing. If it is spinning the front hubs could be stuck internally. Can you feel the t-case inguage when you shift it?

http://home1.gte.net/rythem/davescj7.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 04:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It was hard to get into 4 hi or 4 lo. I think it's engaged. Right now it's stuck where my dog craps (Yes, the day can't get worse) so I'm not eager to get down on all fours and look underneath. Do you think I should dis-engage it then try again, or am I screwed and the tcase or diff is broken?

'83 CJ7 258 i6 31x10.5 3in. lift? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 04:39 PM
sas87yj

and it was working ok when you parked it right? sounds like it's not going into 4wd at transcase unless do the rear wheels spin when in4wd? if it's like my 87 as far as the transcase goes, the rear wheels won't spin either if not engaged in 4wd.
steve

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 05:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Do disrespect intended, but you really need to bite bullet and do a few things even if it is unpleasant.

You need to start at the KNOWN problem and trace the problem back to it's source. The problem is that your front wheels don't turn. It's obvious that power is not getting to them. Two reasons for this. Power is not getting to the axle or power is not getting to the wheels from the axle. While the back wheels are turning, look at the front drive shaft. You gotta do this, dog $hit or no dog $hit. If the drive shaft is turning, the problem is in the hubs or differential. If it is not turning, the problem is in the transfer case.

Once you have isolated the problem, you can then go about determining exactly what is wrong.

You said it was hard to get into 4WD. My guess would be that it isn't going into 4WD, but you have to crawl through the crap (personally I would remove the crap before doing the crawling, but that's for you to decide) to determine if the front drive shaft is turning. That will tell you whether it is going into 4WD or not.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 05:25 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I've seen this before. What happens is the hot and cold from sitting creates a little moisture on the inside of the hub (condensation), and along with the grease that's probably settled out, causes it to stick. I'd pull them off and re-lube them, or try to move them back and forth some. It's one of the reasons I use ATF instead of grease in the hubs.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 05:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 4x4 Help (possible problem)

If you determine that the problem is actually in the transfer case after checking the front drive shaft, it may be that the Jeep was parked with water in the transfer case. In which case, rust or ice may be the problem, and trying to force it into 4WD may cause other damage.
Just a thought.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 06:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First thing that comes to mind is that the T-case is not fully engaged into 4wd. Are you able to move it back and forth in 2wd, enough that you can rock it back and forth to engage into 4wd. Usually you will need to move it a little to get the hubs to lock in especially if its cold. I know that this is common knowledge but sometimes we forget.
Dont know if this helps,

Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 06:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't think this is whats happening with you, but for everybodys knowledge... I have the d20 t-case, and getting into 4-hi can be espically difficult when sitting, and it likes to pop out while running, and due to slop on the shift rails, I can obtain 2wd lo... So after doing like everybody says and looking for whats spining and whats not, you might try and rock the old jeep a bit to make sure you are in 4wd, be it high or low. I find it easier to hit low in the model 20 than high, so if you have a 20, try that. HTH

'77 CJ5, D30, 304,T-150,D20,FullFloat+Locked AMC 20, 4" BDS, 35x12.50 15 BFG MT's
Building an AMC 360
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode