Pulling CJ-7 with a Durango - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 12:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pulling CJ-7 with a Durango

We just bought a '00 Dodge Durango loaded with the 5.9L, 3.55gears, and everything that is possible(OUCH to the JEEP account!!!!). I will be pulling my '83 CJ-7 on a tandem axle trailer, I was wondering if it would be ok with this set-up. The farthest I will be going is only two hours away.

Thanks,
Kelly S.
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 12:46 PM
TEX

Re: Pulling CJ-7 with a Durango

<font color=purple>That's kind of a marginal tow vehicle, but it'll do - especially if you don't have all that far to go. If you don't have brakes on both axles, I'd rectify that. Tow in "Drive", not overdrive. Not sure how it is in Durango's, but on my dad's Ram, it's real screwy. You don't have a separate selector for "Drive" and "O/D" (unlike a GM tranny). Instead, you have to put the selector in "Drive" & hit the "O/D off" button on the dash. Biggest pain with this is that every time you shut off the engine, it reverts back to "O/D on" & you have to re-hit that button when you restart the truck. Very stupid setup (and again, not sure you have the same one), but as long as you keep remembering to do that, you'll be okay.</font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 02:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just make sure you have a full tank of gas in the Durango, and in the Jeep when you need to go get more gas for the Durango

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 02:55 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As I'm sure you noticed, we went all oveer this Jeep tow and Jeep weight question. I polled a few Jeepers and the numbers were shocking[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]. CJs with the 258 and a hardtop are about 3300 dry, and with a 304, a top, and doors are right at 4K. THAT's why I'm workin' up a design for a lighter trailer, because by the time you add trailer, it's THREE TONS.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] My 4.0 Grand Cherokee did OK though at 135 miles and a LOT of uphill stuff![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:03 PM
Enthusiast

CJDave - how about getting that design done and then build several prototypes to give to your fellow jeepers for testing?

Brent & Sons
49-CJ3A, 51-CJ3A
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I towed my CJ5 1200 miles from San Diego, CA to Bremerton, WA with my wife's 99 Explorer XLT with no problems. I rented a Tow Dolly from U-haul, took off the rear driveshaft and away we went. I purchased some tow lights and zip tied them to the stock rear lights.

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode