Lets talk about Snorkles! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Lets talk about Snorkles!

Whats the best way to make one? ARB thinks they are way too cool and wants something like $250 for theirs. So how did you guys make yours? 3 or 2 inch PCV? Anyone use metal for a real long cold air? I know ARB uses a filter at the top of the snorkle as well as one before the carb- Has anyone done this? Did you cut a hole in the fender or in the hood? Regular air filter box or custom? Thanks for the help. Please post pics if you can!!- Tim

Sold the CJ... Cant wait for the next time around!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 02:11 PM

Re: Lets talk about Snorkles!

ARB does not have a true filter at the top of theirs. They have a screen that separates the rain drops into mist which then drains out of that top piece. You can buy just the top piece of the snorkel from them, I believe it fits a 2" PVC pipe (but don't quote me on that, I've only seen it on one local truck, not done it myself.) I ran 2.5" PVC pipe out the corner of my hood and up the windshield frame. The upper end has the pipe-flange that would allow it to connect to another length of pipe. This flange allowed me to use a larger filter which has a "velocity stack" made by K&N (it cost $62!) I used a 90* elbow to come out of the hood, then a 9" section of pipe into a 45* elbow before going up the windshield frame (3" of pipe is inside each elbow and 3" is exposed). I did not glue the pipes together, since it is not under pressure. It is a b*tch to pull them apart even so! Under the hood, I ran a very short piece of 2.5" pipe out of the 90* elbow. Maybe 1-2" stick out of the elbow. This gives a lip to clamp 3" flexible air-intake-tubing that I bought at Auto-Zone in an 8' section I believe. It runs down under the brake master-cylinder and back up (creating a little water-trap I hope is never used- it will not stop water from being sucked into the engine but should make the water be sucked in a very little at a time in a mist form), then turns into the adapter on top of the carb and clamps to that. I wrapped the air intake with duct-tape to prevent it from getting holes rubbed in it. I've noticed no lack of air for the engine (and running in mud I hit 4500rpms on occasion.) There is a company that makes intake adapters for Weber carbs for about $70. My boss made mine from aluminum and an intake piece off (I think) a chevy Astro mini-van with the TBI V-6.

Snorkel and adapters

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

that "velocity stack" is huge!Do you have any problems with that getting wet? Pretty cool though[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What do you think about making the "tube" out of aluminium to create the world's longest cold air intake?? Or stainless? I could get a 2.5' by 6 foot tube of stainless and make the bends using a tube bender. That might look kinda cheesy though. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

...it always make me cry when guys make these elaborate snorkles for the intakes but they do not do anything for the axle vents and most importantly the breather for the motor...you can just tie the breather and the axle vents into the main snorkle...except of course the rear axle vent...

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

mud- very good point. Are there any other beather vents besides the ones you have mentioned?

Do you guys think there needs to be an "exhuast extension"? Most millitary trucks w/ snorkels have them. ???

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 10:40 PM
I Do This For The Glory

There are the 2 axle vents, tranny, transfer, distributor, and engine. You can tie them all together for about $10 in parts and hoses.

I have the snorkel out of an Iveco Diesel I'm fitting to the Scrambler. It'll go up the back near the roll bar, out of the way and allow the windshield to still be folded.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

is that going to go under the tranny skid plate or "hang low" under the door and enter the fender in the normal spot?

shouldn't you still be able to fold the windshiled down with a normal snorkle? Its on the side of the windshield frame right?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 11:21 PM
Addict

Do you think that anybody really needs them?

CJ-8, 4.0, NP435, D44 x D60, ARB's, 4w Disc, 2"YJ springs, SOA, 1" Body lift, 38.5" TSL SX

CJ-6, Cherokee
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 11:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chevy makes vent tube caps. They can be inserted on the end of a vent tube and when that tube goes under water it will close off. Very handy, easy, and cheap.

Jason

<font color=green>----------------</font color=green>
<font color=green>[]llll[] '90 YJ</font color=green>
<font color=yellow>Barbie</font color=yellow> <font color=green>drives</font color=green> <font color=yellow>Wrangler</font color=yellow>, <font color=green>I got a YJ</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode