California Emissions Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Addict

California Emissions Questions

I may be moving to CA this summer and I need to find out about taking my Jeep with me. I have a '77 CJ-7 and it does not have all its emissions crap. I am in the military and keep it titled and registered in Alaska. If I continue to do this will I be able to drive my Jeep out there? Do I have to pass emissions and inspections crap if it is not titled or registered in CA? I really do not want to get rid of my Jeep so I hope some of you Californians can help me out on this. TIA.
Rich
77cj7304QtracTH400, 31"MudKings

fratt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: California Emissions Questions

I'm pretty sure that a 'military-person' can bring their vehicle to ca, and continue to operate it using their 'home-state' registration. You might try looking up the rules in the ca vehicle code, found at www.dmv.ca.gov/dmv.htm#DMVHomepage
If you can keep your 'home' registration, you will not have to deal with emissions testing.
If you have to register in ca, you will be faced with having all of the original emissions devices in-place, and working. (No 'cost-limits' on this, you just have to replace all of the original stuff.) And, you will be faced with a smog inspection at the initial registration, then every two-years.
On the web page, you will find a place to click for 'field offices'. You might try one of the 'non-big-city' offices, where you can talk to a real person, and call them, and ask your questions. I suggest places like Jackson, or Placerville.
CJDave might offer an opinion, here, as I believe he is dealing with a 'non-ca' Jeep that has had the emissions stuff removed.
Getting and installing the emissions stuff should not be too big a deal.
But, hope that you can keep going with your Alaska registration. If you are only on a 'couple-year' assignment, I'd bet you could do the time without anyone even noticing. The thing that might be noticable, and often catches people, is using the vehicle day-in and day-out, travelling the same route, at 'going-to-work', and 'going-home' time. I live in a little town, where this is the case. But, no problem... it's not very hard to 'skirt' around this town.
Best of luck.

bobH
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 02:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought your '77 is exempt or something like that. I don't know much about it, but I have a friend with a '71 out there and he doesn't have to worry about emissions on his.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 02:35 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You have six months as a moved-in resident to change the title to homoland registration, but military is different. I WOULD go to that site and check just to be sure the money-hungry bunch in our homocapital hasn't decided to screw the military along with each other. Just recently, CA got slapped with an order by the feds to return 900 million bucks that they screwed outastate people out of by charging them what amounts to a "discouragement" fee for bring in their vehicle....it would have been 300 bucks extra for our outastate CJ. We have just about completed the re-smog of our smogless CJ, and it has been a real challenge to find the stuff...figure out where it goes....substitute or MAKE the stuff that just is no longer available....and then get it back on without making our engine look messy. When we were considering the purchase of this outlaw smogless CJ, we located a smog "coyote" who would pass anything for a $$ consideration. Unfortunately, before we could get the CJ over there, the smog Gestapo kicked in his door and hauled his furry butt off to whoknowswhere.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] That was a real blow to us when that happened, and a TON of work and expense. I was fortunate to be able to get the sawed-off bolt stubs outa the exhaust manifolds by welding nuts on them, but the intake was a BRAND NEW EDELBROCK non-EGR with a BRAND NEW Holly 4BBL on it and it...(sniff)...had to go by-by in favor of a legal 2150 and a stock intake. We STILL do not have a bracket to hang a smog air pump on, but that is about our last item. We have the pump now, but no bracket. Our smog stuff literally came from all over the US and Canada, thanks to this BBS. I also got some great advice and direction from guys on this BBS as well, like CJ-8/5.2Mag; and dorfs; and a few others.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Out here in homoland 1973 is the cut-off on smog (or maybe '74)but the later stuff is still inspected. If you didn't know this already, in CA it isn't about safety, or clean air, it's about MUNEEEE $$$$$. And it has been that way for some time. The CA Dept of Mtr Veh is the worst screw-ya agency that I personally have ever seen. The lawmakers got SO MUCVH flak[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] about high fees (my ZJ was 525 dollars to renew)that they forced the DMV to reduce fees.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bob,
As long as you are active military, you can keep your jeep registered in Alaska and avoid any 'smog impact' fees or CA registration fees. Just make sure you keep you drivers license and registration current in your state.

Where are you going to be stationed?

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The year that Ca. no longer smog checks vehicles is 1973. By 2003 that will change to a 30 y/o vehicle from then on.

Gary
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Addict

WoooHoooo! Finally, some good news. I checked the site Bob recommended and was scared when I read there was no military smog exemptions, but I called the DMV field office in Ft. Bragg and was told that I could keep my AK registration and would not have to pass any emissions testing. Now I can continue my frame off resto/rebuild in peace.
CJDave,
I have been following your smog saga and feel for you. Then when I found out I may be getting sent to that homo luvin, tofu eatin', tree hugging state out there I was not happy.>) I was really worried about having to give up my beloved CJ. Well, now if I do get sent there I can still bring my baby.

Thanks for all the info guys, you all are the best.

BTW, I think DDAWG was asking where I was being stationed, not Bob, I may end up in Alameda (San Fran area). John, from your handle, I assume your in the Corps, where at?

Thanks again all,
rich
77cj7304qtracth400,31"MudKings

fratt
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

We've got tight emissions in FL too, but only in selected counties. The county I work and live in is one of them, the county my car is registered in (parents address) is NOT! Fortunately anything built before and including 1974 is emissions exempt, including catalytic exemption, mileage, etc. Military is also exampt here in FL as long as the registration is out of state, exemption is indefinite.

Also, I've heard that there may be a big Federal Banning (or at least statewide) on emissions testing. Basically here in FL you test, if you fail all you have to do is show proof that you spent "X" amount of dollars to do the repair and they don't retest you. You go down to a shop, have a fake invoice written up and you're done. It's a waste of time, as CJDave said, it's all about the $$$. I think they are going to get rid of the whole thing here in FL. Course, in my county there is no emissions anyway, so we don't worry much.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the government was really interested in smog they wouldn't have these stupid visual checks. It shouldn't matter what you've done
to the motor or the smog equipment, the " ONLY " thing that really matters is what comes out the tailpipe. After all, that's what we end
up breathing.

Gary
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 08:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am in the Navy and a California resident recently displaced to Washington State. I was stationed at MCB Camp Pendleton and San Diego. At both bases, in order to register your vehicle to drive on base (DOD sticker) you had to have passed California smog requirements. I purchased my CJ5 from an Alabama resident whose DOD sticker had run out and could not get it registered to use it on the base.
I towed the Jeep to WA and since I reside in Kitsap County and there is no smog requirement, I was able to register it in WA.

My other vehicle is an Aircraft Carrier.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode