Shellvalley fiberglass windshield frame - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 03:22 AM
cj7jeep

Shellvalley fiberglass windshield frame

Time to buy a windshield frame and am thinking about going with fiberglass. 4wdh wants $219, Shellvalley's is $179. Anybody have one or know if they are any good? Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 06:43 AM
Dean

Re: Shellvalley fiberglass windshield frame

Unless they've changed in recent years, the quality of Shell Valley's stuff is very poor. I bought a Kevlar w/s frame from them a few years ago. The cuts were severely crooked, the gel coat along the cut edges was badly chipped, and the 'glass itself was as thin as an eggshell. I called and complained, sent it back, and received a replacement. It was in worse condition than the first one. Shell Valley wouldn't reimburse me for the shipping for either unit just to add insult to injury.
BTW, unless you're using a hard top full time I wouldn't recommend a 'glass frame. They tend to flex quite a bit, tend to get stress cracks from the flex, and the w/s glass my fall out. They're also a pain to install. Most of the ones that I've seen aren't trimmed for the w/s glass and gasket so you have to trim it to fit yourself. I ended up swapping in a steel YJ frame and I'm much happier with the steel unit.

Dean
82 Feep CJ-7

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 06:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Can't comment on Shell Valley, but I did buy the 4WDH 'glass frame, and wished I had gotten a steel one instead. My jeep is not running yet, so I don't have any cracks or anything in it, but it just feels flimsy. I agree with the above post, find a steel one instead.

Greg J.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 11:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

4WD Hardware sells steel ones for $140. You will be much happier with steel! I bought a 'glass tub and fenders, but kept my steel hood & tailgate (couldn't part with the embossed "Jeep") and bought a steel ws frame. It will hold the glass and wiper motor assy much better, and as for rust? My original lasted 17 years and I know it was driven every winter by the prev. owner. Just keep it clean and if you have to spend another $140 in 15 years...oh well, you will be much happier in the meantime!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo, The body is on the frame now!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode