Wheels for narrow track CJ7 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 10:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wheels for narrow track CJ7

When I was building my 79 CJ7, I decided to go with 35x12.5 BFG AT's on 8.5 rims with 3.5 inch backspace. I chose this wheel size and backspacing to keep the wheels inside the fender flares. Most of my off-roading here in Florida is in mud. I enjoy driving my Jeep on the road, but I have a problem. The narrow track and narrow tires means that the Jeep doesn't fit in the highway ruts. I am always too close to the center or the edge, causing it to wander. I want to go to wider rims, with less backspacing. I am concerned about running less backspacing because of the load on the spindles. I think 12 inch rims with 1 inch backspacing would accomplish what I am looking for. Any pros or cons appreciated. As usual, I probably don't see the BIG picture.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wheels for narrow track CJ7

I understand the problem but 12" rim with 12.5" tire could cause you a whole new problem. As long as you don't plan on airing down much if any, you should hold the bead. I still don't think this will get you enough width to stay in the HWY ruts.

K-16
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 10:39 AM

its a real easy solution, since its a 4wd,stay off the highway

you can do more improvement with making sure yout steering is not sloppy and a good steering stablizer

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 10:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 76 CJ5 and had the same problem. I wanted a wider track to drive the highway. I think most of the Jeeps on here probaly in honesty put more miles added up on the pavement than offroad. I personally cant afford to trailer mine to every trail. I had 32x11.50 on 15x8 wheels. I did not have funding for wider axles. I looked around and found Les Swab could special order a 15x10 chrome modular with backspace of 2 in. They called the maker and that was the most backspace and still be DOT approved and legal. I got them and also changed to a 33x12.50 BFG. My track width measured if I remember about 3 inches wider on inside and about 6 inches wider on outside, compared to old setup.
I know noticed it to be much more stable on the road. The wheels do stick out much more, but I got the new Best-top fender flares that are going on soon. This set up is the widest I would go considering the extra load on bearings and spindles. I am personally watching for extra damage and have not noticed any problems associated with the change I made. Also looks really cool, really deep wheels and wheels cost me 72 dollars a piece.

Anymore help needed ask

Rich

76 CJ5 304 "its a JEEP thing, I hope you understand"
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 11:40 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I agree with the point about highway ruts, but what about offroad. It's kinda nice not to have all four in everyone else's ruts.

I'm on here so much, I have carpal tunnel reader syndrone.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 06:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the helpful posts. Rich, I will look at some 10 inch rims with 2 inch backspace. Brownbagg, did you feel the need to post something, whether it was helpful or not?

Jim
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 08:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I ran my 35X12.50 15 on some 15X8 with 2.25 inches of backspacing and they rubbed like mad on the springs, body, and frame. I went to some 15X10 with 4.25 inches of backspacing and I can now fully turn and almost fully stuff a tire with no rubbing. I don't have my stock flares any more, but on my 77 cj5 with NO FLARES the tire only siticks out three inches or so. There are pics on my page if want to check it out.
http://jpthng.tripod.com/

'77 CJ5, D30, 304,T-150,D20,FullFloat+Locked AMC 20, 4" BDS, 35x12.50 15 BFG MT's
Building an AMC 360
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-26-2001, 03:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have the same problem i'm looking to swap in some widetrach cj axels. for the money you spend on your wide rims you could put towards paying for the wide track. i plan on only spending 350 to 400 on the axels. any one have some in colorado. 3.31s to 3.73s???

80 cj7 304, WC t-5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode