TJ D30 hub conversion to 5x5.5"?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 09:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TJ D30 hub conversion to 5x5.5\"??

I saw a picture on rockcrawler dot coms website of a TJ with the big front manual hubs and 5x5.5" bolt pattern. They said it was a Warn dana 30 hub conversion. I thought it used the little cheezy hubs. How did they do that swap? What parts are needed? Any info is appreciated. I can't seem to find any real info on their website about it.
Thanks,
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 10:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TJ D30 hub conversion to 5x5.5\"??

Warn has two front-hub conversion kits for YJ's and TJ's. One uses the cheesy little Ford Ranger hub and the other uses an internal 1/2 ton hub and changes the bolt pattern to 5 on 5.5 like you saw. You have to get a CJ rotor and have it modified at a machine shop to make it work with their kit. The only downside to it is the bolt pattern on the rear must be made to match somehow, but it would make a good excuse to swap in a Dana 44 or 60 back there!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 10:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I actually was looking for a solution to the bolt pattern problem without having to swap the whole front end out. I am planning a dana 60 or most likely a dana 44 swap in the rear and don't really want the 4.5" bolt pattern. Well when I decided to open my eyes I discovered that they had the part number listed there. It is Warn PN 38109. It says 30 spline axles. Does this kit upgrade the outers or something? Anyone done this? Comments?
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 03:59 PM

Its a very good set up but its a bit pricey.You need to buy the Warn HD inner axles to accept the bigger U joints : $300 both sides. You will need the Warn CJ axle Hub Conversion Kit : $750. 2 new cast Rotors $200,they need to be machined to allow the hub to fit through the center. Its a strong axle when complete,but when its all said and done you will have spent at least $1400. I installed this set up,new R&P 4.56 gears,an ARB,new seals and brakes. Then I tallied everything up(over $2400) and felt more than a little stupid when I figured I could have had a custom built for the same price. It makes me feel like I need to go put in some more overtime at work,just to think about it.
Later,
Jeff
89 Wrangler/D30 ARB,Ford8.8w detroit,4.56,4:1 tera,SOA,35"

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 04:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

God bless the cj.. that same thing from warn costs $239.....

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 04:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

if you dont want to do all that.. im sure you could find an old 44 and use that. or find the parts from other vehicles.. one thing i have learned here recently is that.. most likely you can get it from another.. for less.. find an auto parts store with the books.. and some one with a brain.. and go thru it.. and try to find it.. 5 on 5 and half.. look at fords and dodges.. im sure you can get a rotor from them.. might even fit that hub assembly and im sure it is waaaay less than 200 bucks.. i would do that.. find a or buy some hubs to a half ton.. try a junk yard.. pull it off from a 44.. take the whole outer part of it.. from the shafts out.. im sure a bone yard would have it.. and for less than 2400 bucks.. then just put the shaft on out on yours.. and bingo.. nuff said.. or just get a 44 from a junk yard.. 250 bucks.. and cut that sucker down.. better in the long run.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 04:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I wholeheartedly agree on this one. When I put converted from auto hubs to manuals on my pickup I had to change the spindle nut to a different type. Warn supposedly was the only company to carry the "conversion kit" and it ran around $75 retail. I did some homework at my local NAPA store, found out that the parts in their "kit" are manufactured by Dana/Spicer, and ordered the individual parts at NAPA for $22! Luckily my parts counter guy is an old timer who knows what books (screw that computer terminal) to look into and cross-referenced it for me in about 15 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode