Funny story..3 vehicles stranded, my YJ made it! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Funny story..3 vehicles stranded, my YJ made it!

Two friends of mine were grooming snowmobile (sled) trails for the local club. The club house is at the end of a dead end single lane road at the bottom of a fairly steep 30 deg hill or so. Well, we got right at 1 foot of snow yesterday. One guy drove his cube van (work delivery truck) down there, got stuck, big surprise. The other guy followed him down with his jeep cherokee (bone stock), got stuck at the bottom and couldn't even turn around to try to make it out!
Here's the funny part, they tried to use the snowmobiles to pull the cherokee out. They tied the snatch rope to the hollow tie rod that has a threaded tie rod end at each end (rod goes from tire to tire)! The sled ripped the tie rod clean off!! So now one tire on the jeep turns while the other tire just flops around, the jeep is still stuck by the way.
Then they called a guy with a land cruiser that has a 6' plow on it with 31" mud's and no balls for a motor, he went down the hill and tried to plow around so he could pull them out. NOPE, he got stuck at the bottom as well!
Then one of them called me from his cell phone and told me to bring my YJ (I don't drive it much at all, unless someones stuck [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img], was a bear to start!). By the time I got there it was dark and still snowing, this is in the middle of the woods in Maine by the way. First I laughed my a55 off when I found out about the tie rod! I was looking around for an empty case of beer! I told the three of them to get in my jeep and we're getting the hell out of here before I get stuck, no wrecker would have dared come to get us. The four of us got in my YJ and crawled up the hill without spinning a tire. Very impressed with my 35" MT procomp's in the snow. Pulled out a F350 with a 9' plow on it about 3 weeks ago. I can only image where I'll be able to go once I lock up!

moral of the story, don't put a snatch rope on your tie rod! man...I laugh every time I think of it!

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Big Ed
<font color=red>'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,35's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 08:51 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Funny story..3 vehicles stranded, my YJ made it!

You laugh about the sled pulling a jeep out, we did this 2 years ago. If I can find the pic, I'll post it. It was a monoski with dual tracks (trailbreaker), and he did pull the CJ-7 out of the snow.

Sounded like a good time, wish I was there!

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 11:25 PM
joeybcdt

Re: Funny story..3 vehicles stranded, my YJ made it!

A few years ago, some buddies and I had a deer lease in some very slippery E. Texas woods. I was "in-between" trucks at the time. My brother-in-law calls me at 7:30AM. He, and others, are at the lease. Very stuck. He walked all night to a country-church to use the phone.

I loaded the the Polaris 4X4 in the back of my 77 ElCamino and lit out.

With a Polaris 4 wheeler, I pulled out a Ford 250, Crew 350, and a Dodge Dakota. All 2wd. I was king for a day.

Boy it amazes me that in those days, we were willing to hit the trails in 2wd trucks, no winch, no chains or straps, street tires, not even a chain saw. I learned a lot those few years. Especially how stupid we were.

Joey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode