Where will it end ? for you ... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 01:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where will it end ? for you ...

I've pretty much run the gamut, with this jeep, as far as modifications go. I went from pretty good on the road, but limited off-road abilities, thru all the various big ,bigger, biggest improvements to the off-road capabilities, but lost any real safety margin on the road.
After more than 17 years of changes, I'm very close to as good as I could ask for off-road, and I'm getting close to acceptable on the road handling again. : )
I'm just wondering how far you folks are wanting to take your jeeps ? And what time frame you are looking at ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 02:27 PM
Frank360

Re: Where will it end ? for you ...

I just got mine in summer 2000, and my budget is maxed for about 3 years... so, I am now forced to go easy on the improvements and keep the thing from falling apart... but, I plan on keeping it simple.. I will have cable lockers, a good enough winch, maybe 2-3 inches bigger than 33 meats, fix whatever is worrying me (engine and clutch), oh yea and plug the holes that choke me from exhaust fumes... I want to keep the thing street driveable (no highway), so I won't go crazy with the mods, although I am still far from being legal thanks to my buddies at the mechanics shop I get my sticker from...

A Jeep is a Jeep..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did the axles, engine, tranny, and t-case last summer and they are where I want them, except maybe putting a Dana 60 up front instead of a 44. All I really want to do is put a locker or spool in both axles, a winch up front, build my bumpers and rocker guards, put a racing capable cage in with 5 point harnesses, trim the fenders, and put 2-3 inch springs SOA on in place of the stock springs SOA. The bumper, rocker guards, and fenders are being taken care of this summer. The rest will get done when I have the money. I just bought a deckover flatbed to haul the jeep so I'm spending money to make my tow vehicle even more capable and comfortable.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7
<font color=green>WALSTIB</font color=green>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 03:52 PM

i don't have a time frame, (but i do prefer to work in the winter and wheel in the summer [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])
i've never not been working (or thinking about it) on a vehicle, my one jeep i've had for about 10 years now and i can't see me ever selling it. and i'm sure it will never be complete, i swapped to an automatic a few years back and know it will have a manual (SM465) some day, also i'm sure it will get another engine swap, and been thinking about another front axle too. i guess you get the idea.....

<font color=red>3/4tonYJ</font color=red>

http://www.geocities.com/yj3qtr_ton
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 04:14 PM

Well, the mods coming this year, hopefully in time to make Tellico in early May, are:

Put the OME 2.5" lift springs on the rear and build a 3-link coil-suspension for the front. Put the 4.09 gears and EZ-Lockers in the D44 axles and get them under the Jeep. Finish putting the TF-727 and NP-208 into the Jeep! Build front and rear bumpers with some serious tow points, and get a winch put on.

In the (very) long run.... Build a 3-link 1/4 elliptical suspension for the rear that gives 7" of lift and have new coils made for the front to even it out. Make new fenders and hood and new rear wheel-wells to clear 40" tires. D-60s front and rear with 5.13:1 gearing and dual Detroits. Full-rollcage and custom dash. Dual x-cases with serious low-range. A stroked and propane-powered 4.0L.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You don't alot of time B-4 tellico... I hope you have everything ordered for that 3-link.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

...it will all end when Im down to my last wrench when im in the rain in a puddle welding that wrench to rounded off bolt in my senial age and......ZZZZZAAAAAAPPPPPPPP!

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 09:31 PM
Veteran

I actually feel pretty close now. With the sway/track bars off my 2.5 lift actually flexes pretty good. 33 mudders and dual lockers pave the road ahaead. Things left to do are full roll cage, 4.10 gears (already have them), rear bumper/carrier (working on it now), snorkel and a 2Low kit in the tcase. It still rides pretty good on hwy, but no sport car for sure. Maybe a telescoping track bar and a sway disco in the future.

'91 YJ,I-6,2.5" lift,Boomerangs,33s,D30,D35c,Lock-Rights F&R
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 10:08 PM

I dont really expect to make it to Tellico this May, but I'm giving it a hell of a try. I dont think any of the parts I'm using can be ordered. I have to make them all, or at least design it all and have a local fabrication/machine shop make the parts I can't...

post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 10:54 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Er....ah...."Soil-Specific-Racer" alias Dirtrod....hasen't anyone explained how this all works? The questions that you posed can all be answered quite simply: "Just a little bit more."[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] How many mods are enough? How much dough do you expect to spend? How extreme do you want to make your Jeep? Those questions and many others can all be answered by that simple phrase: "Jus' a little bit more."[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Tracs modified While-U-Wait by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Quadra-Trac Team.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode