Found a bolt-in D44!...and its true - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 11:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Found a bolt-in D44!...and its true

Hey I have had a July/2000 JP magazine article which says that a 1971-73 Jeepster/Comando has the same overall widthand the spring-perch-pad width is in the correct area also! It works best in 76-82 CJ7's and CJ5s(right?). I have found two at my local junkyard and bought them...1 was $250 and the other was $100...go figure...same guy also!...anyways I just had installed it in my 1978 Jeep and replaced the 30 year old brakes too..hehe...but I need a new shortened drive shaft though thats the only drawback....in the magazine article I have right here it says the D44 has a larger diameter walled axle tubes a much heavier center section and of course the 1 piece axles!...dOh! I just thought i wish the guy didnt cut the driveshaft wasent torched off at the rear part...hmmm...anyways it does sit in the same location on the springs...the emergency brake cables bolted right up on my Jeep but the magazine says you do need to modify the hole to accept the cable...just thought I would mention it to somebody else as an update...

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 01:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Found a bolt-in D44!...and its true

I'd toss those cables, and put linelock valves in front and rear. I was busting along about 40mph once, when a piece of 2x4 got over the cable and under the tire...Fast stop, destroyed brake shoes and no more cable.
Design by attrition, only the best parts survive.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2001, 09:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

...Thankgod you werwe able to control your vehicle when it happened!...all my e-brake lines always freeze up on me....I even coil them up in a large coffee can for a couple of days in any close by lubricants..the stupid northeast climate and salt siezes them fast...and its a easy inspection failer too!

MARK (OIIIIO) LANGMOTORSPORTS
1977/CJ7/GLASSTUB/460CIFORD/C6AUTO/4"LIFT/33'S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 11:12 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Mark

So that was a 100% clean drop in project ? Didn`t have to change or weld anything(excluding the driveshaft) ? I know where one is cheap ! Sh*t the one piece axles alone are 300 smackers for my AMC 20 . How much do you figure you will have to cut from your driveshaft ? Thanks

Jeff

<font color=black>Summer is just around the corner [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] </font color=black>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2001, 01:39 PM
81cj5

check out the dana 44 post in the commando forum

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode