Binding - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 09:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Binding

I have an '86 CJ-7 that grinds and resists turning the steering wheel to full lock when the 4 wheel drive is engaged. I don't have a locker in the front or rear. On pavement the jeep's tires chirp and it lunges back and forth when making a sharp turn. I don't know if this is normal and if not what I can do to fix it. I always thought that sense there are no lockers the jeep has an open differential making this hopping/chirping/lunging impossible.. any suggestions would be great..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 10:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Binding

First rule of four-wheel drive. DO NOT engage 4WD on dry pavement unless you have a full-time system. When you put it in 4wd the front and rear driveshafts are turning the same number of revolutions. When you make a turn, the front and rear tires are not turning the same number of revolutions. Because everything is tied together mechanically something has to give to keep those driveshafts in synch. The difference in rotation is causing the binding, chirping, etc.. Your differentials may be open, but there is no differential action at the transfer case to allow for differences between front and rear. If you're lucky, traction is lost momentarily at the tires and the slip, spin, or whatever to ease the binding. If you're not lucky, something gives inside the transfer case and you get a big, fat repair bill. Leave your vehicle out of 4WD unless you are on dirt, snow, mud, or something which will allow some "give".

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 10:12 AM
Keyboard Implanted

BTW: MagooXL, that IS normal for the dry pavement, if you did not get that from Snowtow's advice.

Run it when it rains, it is good for it anyhow to keep 'stuff lubed.

Scott,
'85 CJ7 'T.H.O.R.' "Take Him Off Road"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2000, 10:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You should see those Quadra-Trac Drive CJs tear around the shopping center parking lots.....all four pulling like crazy. THAT's what you need......a Quadra-Trac CJ[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]We don't pay NO 'tention to FWD.....we are ALWAYS in FWD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] made 'em up themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode